Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOINC on Raspbery Pi

Past Administrator

BOINC on Raspbery Pi

Now that Kat's robot science fair project is done, we're slowly turning our attention to the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black boards she has. I'm actually installing Raspbian on the Pi right now, it's about 50% complete.

Kat really wants to try crunching with it, so for those that know more about this than I do: what would be the best project to run on this thing? Not sure what kind of math the little ARM CPU does best, but here's our options it looks like:
    Asteroids
    Collatz
    Einstein
    Enigma
    YoYo

Which do you think would be most suited to the Pi and its [limited] crunching capabilities? Thanks!

Administrator

Re: BOINC on Raspbery Pi

There was a fairly "nasty" thread on SRBase where a guy asked if he could use a Pi. One smart mouthed guys really climbed on the guy asking the question. The following discussion went through some of the capabilities (or lack of) of the Pi. IIRC it doesn't do double precision.

Past Administrator

That's unfortunate. I've never figured out why anyone with knowledge thinks they should slam other people who are asking a question. They should be glad the person is asking the question and that they know the answer!

I got the list of projects above from BOINC's main home page, and they all have the little Raspberry Pi symbol next to them. I'm just trying to figure out which would be the most credits per watt kind of a thing - which one of those projects uses math that the Pi's little CPU is actually "good" at (if it's powerful enough to be good at anything at all of course!)

Administrator

Yes, it is unfortunate! Someone with knowledge can take an opportunity like that and "teach" rather than being an overbearing smart a$$.

Silver Member

I tried using the instructions on the BU forum to get BU running on an RP. Never could get it going. Frustration deluxe but it's more than likely an EBCAK issue.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Past Administrator

OK, so far I've got BOINC running and starting an Enigma WU on the Pi. BOINC benchmarks returned a whopping 217 Floating Point and 897 Integer MIPS. LoL...I'm not even sure this will be worth the 1.5W it must be sucking down, but we'll see. Kat is insisting we try, so here goes.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    OK, so far I've got BOINC running and starting an Enigma WU on the Pi. BOINC benchmarks returned a whopping 217 Floating Point and 897 Integer MIPS. LoL...I'm not even sure this will be worth the 1.5W it must be sucking down, but we'll see. Kat is insisting we try, so here goes.
    Well really the only value you are looking at here is Kat's option, so suck it up DP and pay the bill!!! it's not like she wants a new car.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    it's not like she wants a new car.
    Yet!

Diamond Member

I can see DP didnt ask Kat if she wants a car.
    Yeha, my man they grow up so fast.

Hey Z, I found a car for you.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Now that Kat's robot science fair project is done, we're slowly turning our attention to the Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black boards she has. I'm actually installing Raspbian on the Pi right now, it's about 50% complete.

Kat really wants to try crunching with it, so for those that know more about this than I do: what would be the best project to run on this thing? Not sure what kind of math the little ARM CPU does best, but here's our options it looks like:
    Asteroids
    Collatz
    Einstein
    Enigma
    YoYo

Which do you think would be most suited to the Pi and its [limited] crunching capabilities? Thanks!

There are some more projects listed here. Some require installing the app + app_info.

http://burdeview.blogspot.co.uk/p/ra...e-created.html
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast