Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOINC on Raspbery Pi

Past Administrator

Re: BOINC on Raspbery Pi

Wow, thanks - that blog is a wealth of R-Pi BOINC info! At the current run rate, it will take about 18 hours for a single Enigma WU. Hmmmm...this got me to thinking. Maybe I should figure out how to make it crunch SETI@Home and then the Credit New might take over and give it a million credits because it's SO SLOW!

Yeah, Kat is really growing up. Man, I'm telling you the last 6 months...wow. Losing the baby face and looks (acting too?) like a big kid now. No more little one...guess she should change her name on here from "DrPop's Daughter" to "11 yr old Kat going on 16"

Diamond Member

I know that feeling.

The real problem is when they start treating us as old man, they are not anymore our young children and we are our old parents.

Suddenly they look so old and for a moment, we are much younger.

No more responsbility for someone that is ready to take care of his own life and we know we didnt fail as fathers.

We keep on looking at them as our children forever and just turn old again so that is life ...

Very old and Crazy Duke.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    "11 yr old Kat going on 16"
    Enjoy every minute of it. In 2 more years it will be "13 going on 21"

Gold Member

Raspberry Pi 2 is six times faster than Pi 1, supports Windows 10

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28786...indows-10.html

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Raspberry Pi 2 is six times faster than Pi 1, supports Windows 10

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28786...indows-10.html
    Good deal! That might actually be worth running. I wonder how much the power draw increased for the 6x CPU performance? There are a few mini-computer boards out there that certainly smoke the Pi - I'd love to figure out how to make the Intel Edison work for crunching. Amazing what that thing can do per watt considering how tiny it is.

Gold Member

What linux distribution are you running on your PI? Is it straight forward to run enigma?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    What linux distribution are you running on your PI? Is it straight forward to run enigma?
    Yes, believe me, if I could do it, it's simple! I just downloaded NOOBS from the Raspberry Pi website, copied it to the SD card, and installed Raspian from it. Then I just installed BOINC - you could follow the directions to install BOINC from that blog that Zombie linked us to a few posts back, and then attached to Enigma. Since Enigma is setup for supporting the Pi, it was really that simple - no need to reconfigure stuff. If you want to crunch other projects that aren't setup for it, like SETI for example, that's when you have to do the re-configuring of all that like that blog explains.

Gold Member

Thank you.

Also:

"When booting to a Raspbian desktop, the Raspberry Pi 1 draws about 290mA, dropping to about 250mA once the desktop is loaded. The Raspberry Pi 2 draws about 340mA at boot, dropping to about 270mA once the desktop is loaded. There is a slight increase in current draw from the Raspi 1 to the Raspi 2.

With a few experiments, I did determine the Raspberry Pi 2 will draw up to 500mA under heavy load. That’s the max spec for USB. If your current USB power adapter isn’t great, you might want to get a better one for the Raspi 2."

Source: http://hackaday.com/2015/02/02/intro...aspberry-pi-2/

Past Administrator

Thanks! Sounds like a big improvement for crunching. Only bummer is, I can't find it in stock anywhere. I went to Element 14, linked from the Raspberrypi.org website and no dice...out of stock.

Gold Member

I hear they run Windows. Is it the desktop or tablet version? I wouldn't mind a little project with my kids on this.

EDIT: nm answered my own question: customized windows embedded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast