Thread: Dual Boot System Question

Administrator

Dual Boot System Question

I wanting to install a dual boot system and I wondering, if the power goes out and it reboots, will it hang at the dual boot screen or is there a way to make it boot to Windows/Linux by default? If not, I'll live with the vms and just let it boot to windows.

Platinum Member

Re: Dual Boot System Question

So, something to think about that I remember from Bryan talking, he saw a small performance boost in a Windows VM (on a base Windows system) vs. native Windows. Something to do with the VM install not having to do all the crap that the native install has to do to make everything run.

Past Administrator

No, you can choose which OS is the default. But, you must install Windows 1st. Linux is much easier to configure in regards editing boot options.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

I have a i7-3770 system with Win 7 already installed and it has a around 500MB of unallocated disk space on a 1TB drive. When I try to install Ubuntu 14.04 it doesn't see the Windows partitions. All it sees is a 1TB drive all unallocated. I've read about having to convert the disk from MBR to GPT but before I do anything I wanted to see if anyone knew what was happening and had an easy solution.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I have a i7-3770 system with Win 7 already installed and it has a around 500MB of unallocated disk space on a 1TB drive. When I try to install Ubuntu 14.04 it doesn't see the Windows partitions. All it sees is a 1TB drive all unallocated. I've read about having to convert the disk from MBR to GPT but before I do anything I wanted to see if anyone knew what was happening and had an easy solution.
    That is curious??? When I installed Mint as a dual boot it always saw the Windows install and asked if Mint should be installed beside it. After that I used EasyBCD to install the Boot Manager. Reboot, 2 choices...Windows or Linux.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

There's lots of post on the interweb about this but they seem to differ a little. In my case it was a problem with having both MBR and GPT partitions or info on the disk. Not sure if all linux installs have this, but I booted a linux mint cd, got to the desktop (prior to the actual installation), opened a terminal window, ran fixpart and cleaned it up so everything was mbr, then rebooted and install went ok.
    Last edited by scole of TSBT; 03-30-16 at 09:40 PM.