Thread: Overclocking my CPU

Platinum Member

Overclocking my CPU

Never done it. Want to do it. So how do I?

I am rocking this CPU, this Mobo, and this cooler. Running roughly 39C under full load. I suspect I have some headroom there...

So where do I start? I literally have no idea...

Past Administrator

Re: Overclocking my CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I am rocking this CPU, this Mobo, and this cooler. Running roughly 39C under full load. I suspect I have some headroom there...
    Wonderful, beautiful, decent, and yes in that order.

#1 rule of overclocking: know your numbers. (Some of us learned this the hard way.)

Your numbers are:
    CPU max temp 62C
    CPU Max voltage 1.40V (OK, if temps are good, you can fudge this a little higher).

Yes, you can go over these, but probably wouldn't want to for 24/7 load.

You have a black edition CPU, so multiplier is unlocked. First thing I would do is raise the FSB (it will be set on 200 or "auto") until your machine becomes unstable. Then, back it off a couple notches until you get stability back. This becomes your motherboard's FSB WALL. You can't go past this and each is a little different.

Now the fun part, because you have a black edition CPU. UP the voltage a little, and play around with the multiplier. Find the highest multiplier you can hit with the FSB just under it's wall. Once you hit this, you may find that you can hit a higher overall numer by dropping the FSB a little, and upping the multiplier one more.

Just keep an eye on your CPU temp, you don't want it going over that 62C mark for long...keep upping the volts, and upping the multiplier / FSB until you hit a wall on the mobo or the temp starts getting out of control, etc.
    I don't know how good that cooler is - it looks decent, but I'll say it again - just keep an eye on the temp.

One issue here might be your RAM. What kind is it and what speed is it labled for? Stock volts on DDR3 is 1.5V. You can easily up that to 1.65V, even a little more without burning your RAM up. Thing is, it may O/C good, and it may not. If it doesn't, set the multiplier for your RAM lower, so that instead of say 1667 MHz on an O/C, it hits more like 1300MHz. There will be an option in the BIOS to set this memory clock vs the system bus clock. You can always play around with upping it later. You just don't want to be hitting an artificial wall too early in the game, only to find out it was your RAM holding you back.

Now, there are some other things to do with AMD chipsets and Phenom II cpus specifically - like the NB voltage, and HT link speed, etc.
    Stock is 2600 for the CPU Freq and HT. Definitely push that a little higher and see (it will help your graphics benchmarks to increase and rig will feel "snappier"), but you might get random crashes if it goes too high. 1.2V on the CPU-NB is about the limit you want to push for now.

I'll see if I can drum up a Thuban core O/Cing guide for you, but that should get you started.

Platinum Member

So, this is my RAM (x2).

Not being a computer person naturally, I have a decent sense of what you're saying, but the light isn't going off quite yet. Here is the key prequel question: How do I change these settings?

And another question I probably should have started with: would your advice change if this is not for a dedicated cruncher, but my primary machine?

PS: That cooler was J-Crew (JerWA) recommended. So pretty good for air for when I ordered it...

Gold Member

For therapy sessions, you should really develop your relationship with your BIOS. It may be your best and longest friend.