Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Worth Waiting for Skylake?

Gold Member

Re: Worth Waiting for Skylake?

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    So I finally got around to considering my next build thanks to Newegg's persistent holiday emails and I saw that Skylake finally came out not too long ago. So has anyone gotten one yet? Is the price worth it? Should I wait for more versions to come out at better price points? Bla bla bla?
    NewEgg got me as too. I was looking at the Skylake but I pulled the trigger on the x99 that I was talking about in the other thread. I went with the 5930k and the x99 Sabertooth. Finished it last night. The prices NewEgg is kicking around are enticing. Not sure on your budget but believe me you'll be happy with the x99 platform. It replaced my AMD t1100.

Silver Member

IDK about the X99, it looks pretty pricey. Not to mention the wattage. I already purchased a 760 Watt PSU so I'm limited by that. I'm planing to put an SLI setup so I'm not sure about loading it much more. I'm debating an i5 6600 or an i7 6700. I don't plan to overclock so I don't think the K series is worth the premium. Or is it?
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Silver Member

my main personal rig is i5 3570k 4c4t. Worked out great for a few years now, but as I log more boinc hours I wish it had hyperthreading

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Silver Member

Especially with an sli set up. Have at least 6 threads if its a cruncher too.

Silver Member

My current rig is about six years old now. It has an i5 750.
    Cruncher Status

Past Admin

IDK about the X99, it looks pretty pricey. Not to mention the wattage. I already purchased a 760 Watt PSU so I'm limited by that. I'm planing to put an SLI setup so I'm not sure about loading it much more. I'm debating an i5 6600 or an i7 6700. I don't plan to overclock so I don't think the K series is worth the premium. Or is it?
    Yeah your psu is going to be running hard with 2 gpu's so limiting the watts on your cpu is understandable. I liked the 2 extra cores on the cpu. The 6 core 5820k is $390.00 at NewEgg but uses more power. It seems your set to run to gpu's on that psu so keeping the watts down looks like the right choice. Getting a new rig is fun and you'll be happy either way you go.

Gold Member

What GPUs do you plan to run?

Even if you don't plan to OC, I would kick in the extra few bucks for the K series. You get a few hundred extra MHz without doing anything, and I'm guessing the K chips are selected on their higher quality.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    What GPUs do you plan to run?

Even if you don't plan to OC, I would kick in the extra few bucks for the K series. You get a few hundred extra MHz without doing anything, and I'm guessing the K chips are selected on their higher quality.
    I plan to get two GTX 960s. The real difference between the K series and the regular one is that the K series CPUs are "Unlocked" meaning you can over clock that B*#ch to your hearts content. The regular ones have little to no overclocking support. I also noticed the K series has a higher power consumption. If it really is the same chip, why is that?
    Cruncher Status

Silver Member

Not only are they unlocked they are usually a higher quality chip. Extreme series and xeons are the top bin, then you get enthusiast i7, i5, then mainstream, low end. Basically the higher performance or cost chip, from Intel, you get a higher quality chip. I believe the k series falls under enthusiast while non k will be mainstream. IMO its slightly lower quality but could be the same or negligible.

Search Wikipedia for "product binning"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast