Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collatz is BSODing my computer

Platinum Member

Collatz is BSODing my computer

Ok. So, my computer (Silver Hammer), used to run Collatz quite well. After the DNETC scare, I ran DNETC up to 100M, changing none of the setting on my system. Today, I stop DNETC and start Collatz back up. Nothing but a string of BSODs.

This is Win7x64, 2x5970, CCC 10.10, BOINC 6.10.58. Running (now) at stock settings.

I have restarted the machine, reset the project, detached/reattached to Collatz. I uninstalled the driver, ran Driver Sweeper, reinstalled the driver (10.10 has historically been the most stable on my system). I ran chkdsk, and I keep getting the same thing over and over.

Any ideas as to what I can try? I want to go on a Collatz push, but need working cards to do that...

Past Administrator

Re: Collatz is BSODing my computer

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Ok. So, my computer (Silver Hammer), used to run Collatz quite well. After the DNETC scare, I ran DNETC up to 100M, changing none of the setting on my system. Today, I stop DNETC and start Collatz back up. Nothing but a string of BSODs.

This is Win7x64, 2x5970, CCC 10.10, BOINC 6.10.58. Running (now) at stock settings.

I have restarted the machine, reset the project, detached/reattached to Collatz. I uninstalled the driver, ran Driver Sweeper, reinstalled the driver (10.10 has historically been the most stable on my system). I ran chkdsk, and I keep getting the same thing over and over.

Any ideas as to what I can try? I want to go on a Collatz push, but need working cards to do that...
    I would try the following:
    Detach Collatz and shutdown BM.

Locate your BOINC data\projects folder and make sure the "boinc.thesonntags.com_collatz" folder and the "boinc.thesonntags.com_collatzsymbols" folder have been deleted.

Run CCleaner on the registry for orphaned entries and the HDD for orphaned files.

Run Free Registry DeFrag (will not really help the problem but it will help speed bootup so why not.) DeFrag will request reboot when it is finished, say yes.

Now go to Collatz website and make sure ONLY GPU work is selected. Note: Collatz now has a "Mini Collatz" app. Try the normal app first. Try the mini app if the normal app crap out your system.

Reattach Collatz. (Keeping fingers crossed)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

I pulled some Collatz today to make up for MW being down and did notice 1 WU ran for 1 hour and 11 minutes.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    I pulled some Collatz today to make up for MW being down and did notice 1 WU ran for 1 hour and 11 minutes.
    Slicker recently upped the size of the Collatz WUs, so that's not surprising. They are now 4x longer than they used to be.

@F$: The only part of that I hadn't tried was running CC cleaner. But I did just follow your directions and got the same "screen goes oddly pixelated, blacks out, BSOD, shut down" sequence.

Crap. Other thoughts? My computer is being naughty right now...

Gold Member

I am not a computer guru in any manner but I did have a case of the BSOD's awhile back and it ended up being my memory. I just laxed my timings a little and it solved my problems. Good luck.

Past Administrator

Slicker recently upped the size of the Collatz WUs, so that's not surprising. They are now 4x longer than they used to be.

@F$: The only part of that I hadn't tried was running CC cleaner. But I did just follow your directions and got the same "screen goes oddly pixelated, blacks out, BSOD, shut down" sequence.

Crap. Other thoughts? My computer is being naughty right now...
    Not really sure although jokers comment jogged a memory. I think it would be a good Idea to "Re-seat" all your computer parts, cards, plugs and screws. And while your at it try swapping the positions of any components that have twins, video cards, memory stick. One last thing, err two last things. Run an anti-malware utility like Malwarebytes and unplug all USB devices sans mouse and KB.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

And, also, have you tried running only mini-Collatz? That might help identify if the cards simply don't like the longer WU's.

Platinum Member

So as it turns out, it is not Collatz specifically, but any load on the cards now. I tested Mumps' idea the opposite way - I started to run a DNETC WU on there (which was fine until yesterday), and got the same BSOD problem.

When I get a chance to dig into the computer, I'll reseat every thing. Thanks for the ideas, folks.

Past Administrator

So as it turns out, it is not Collatz specifically, but any load on the cards now. I tested Mumps' idea the opposite way - I started to run a DNETC WU on there (which was fine until yesterday), and got the same BSOD problem.

When I get a chance to dig into the computer, I'll reseat every thing. Thanks for the ideas, folks.
    Oh boy...... Maxwell, what you are describing now sounds like a faulty hardware problem.
    Super simple test. Pull out one of the 5970s and run Collatz, then switch cards and test again. If it can now crunch then it is either a bad card, the one you pulled, or your PSU is going bye bye.

If nothing above works then it will be necessary to try the cards in a different system and/or try a different PSU in the errant system and trying the supeer simple test again.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Shadow

My suggestions along with a buck and a half might get you a cold cup of coffee but here goes. First, if you've done any updating or changing of CCC, do the control panel>uninstall a program and look for Microsoft Visual C++ (any year) redistributable, and get rid of it. Most people uninstall their old version of catalyst but forget to uninstall that nasty little bugger. You may even find multiple occurrences of that file.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...csDrivers.aspx

If that doesn't do it then I'd say to try your cards one at a time to see if one is going bad, and give them a good cleaning while you have them out.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast