Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Collatz is BSODing my computer

Diamond Member

Re: Collatz is BSODing my computer

This is a dedicated cruncher? And you are sure it is not the HW? Just wipe the HD and reinstall the OS from the ground up. Like nuking the planet, it's the only way to be sure.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    This is a dedicated cruncher? And you are sure it is not the HW? Just wipe the HD and reinstall the OS from the ground up. Like nuking the planet, it's the only way to be sure.
    +++1

BTW: That line (Its the only way to be sure) was used in the Aliens sequel

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

@Harley: The only overclocking I have ever done with through CCC - nothing crazy. And I was ostensibly running Collatz at stock settings...

@zombie: Not a dedicated cruncher, which is why I am leery to do a complete wipe. I'm not sure it's not HW, just REALLY hoping (since I don't have spares or alternate systems to work with).

Still going through F$'s process - hopefully that will get me somewhere. Otherwise, I may do the full wipe.

Harley

I ran a mini Collatz wu at 925/1000 and had no problem.
    http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz...?wuid=33256506

This is a MW wu I ran when I was having all the problems.
    http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...ltid=319317257
    The card's clocks were set at 925/1000. The task's details show the clocks at 1000/1500.
    All this happened after running DNETC. Damn... I hate DNETC. I hope it turns out to be a software/driver issue for you and not hardware.

Platinum Member

@Harley - can you check a normal Collatz WU? And what CPU project were you running along with the GPU projects in your uber system?

Update: I either have a ghost or something f***ed up within BOINC. After going through the F$ procedure, I go back to the bedroom to start setting up a wall mount for a TV. I come back out about 30 min later, and the computer has restarted. Not surprising, given how bitch it's been the last couple of days. Enter the ghost...

After signing in to the computer, I see that my CPU project (AlmereGrid) has disappeared (detached). No clue why or how. I didn't do it.

The machine seems to crunch MW just fine for a bit (10-15min) then BSOD's - the last error was "Video Scheduler has encountered an unexpected error". Working on fixes now. Just finished punching a baby and kicking the dog...

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    @Harley - can you check a normal Collatz WU? And what CPU project were you running along with the GPU projects in your uber system?

Update: I either have a ghost or something f***ed up within BOINC. After going through the F$ procedure, I go back to the bedroom to start setting up a wall mount for a TV. I come back out about 30 min later, and the computer has restarted. Not surprising, given how bitch it's been the last couple of days. Enter the ghost...

After signing in to the computer, I see that my CPU project (AlmereGrid) has disappeared (detached). No clue why or how. I didn't do it.

The machine seems to crunch MW just fine for a bit (10-15min) then BSOD's - the last error was "Video Scheduler has encountered an unexpected error". Working on fixes now. Just finished punching a baby and kicking the dog...

I ran a normal Collatz WU with no problem.
    http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz...ultid=75940348
    For the cpu I'm running AndrOINC. However I'm only running 6 of 8 theads.

When I was having the problems my box shut down on me 23 times! According to Windows it was caused by the ATI driver. Everything was running fine before I ran DNETC and now everthing is back too normal.

Harley

Max;
    Sorry for jumping back and forth between PM'ing and this thread but I want to put this out there for anyone else who might be having this problem. this is one of your MW wu's.
    http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...ltid=319520490
    Check the clocks! 1000/1500 that's the same as mine showed. Whatever the problem is its the same for both of us. I have XFX cards and use their overvolting tool. I believe the tool is brand and card (Black edition) specific. You can try MSI's Afterburner. I think you can use that for overvolting.

Platinum Member

Damn it! You're right! Why you can find the problem with my machine better than I can, I have no idea, but you're right.

Unfortunately, the fix you recommended earlier didn't work for me. Despite uninstalling CCC, driver sweeping, and reinstalling 11.1, that didn't reset clocks to normal.

So do I use Afterburner to clock them back to stock, or do I try and work that from within CCC after installing it?

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Damn it! You're right! Why you can find the problem with my machine better than I can, I have no idea, but you're right.

Unfortunately, the fix you recommended earlier didn't work for me. Despite uninstalling CCC, driver sweeping, and reinstalling 11.1, that didn't reset clocks to normal.

So do I use Afterburner to clock them back to stock, or do I try and work that from within CCC after installing it?

Ummmm, I guess I have too much time on my hands.
    Here's what I suggest.

1. Use CCC to restore factory defaults. Not just the Default tab but from preferences.
    2. Use MSI Afterburner to change the voltage. Then reset to normal.

At this point you can try running MW or you can go the whole nine yards and remove CCC and use driver sweeper. If you do this, after using driver sweeper go to the control panel- device manager and make sure the display adapter driver is gone. If not uninstall and reboot. This will force windows to reinstall the drivers. Wait until windows has finished. Then reintall CCC. Good Luck!

Platinum Member

Ok. So did the whole "Restore Defaults" thing like Harley suggested, and checked Afterburner, and everything appeared to be at stock, including voltages. I tried the "test custom clocks" with settings at stock settings after restoring defaults, and it failed (it shouldn't). Then I decided to go a little loco...

I backed the memory clock down to 500, and the GPU clock down to 575 in CCC. This is from stock settings of 1000 and 725, respectively. Tested these custom clocks, and it passed. Put them on MW for about 45min, then emptied the cache. All went well.

Uninstalled the driver, swept, reinstalled the driver, to see if that changed something internal to the card. It didn't because when I tried the "test custom clocks" thing again with default settings, it failed again.

I'm now uninstalling completely again, and I'm going to switch the location of the two cards, and see if that can get something going...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast