Thread: GPU Grid projects

Silver Member

GPU Grid projects

Hello all who reads.
    I always have trouble getting GPU grid projects, especially enough to bunker with.

With a challenge in a few days I am revisiting this problem, just wondering if its a thing with everyone out there or something I am doing wrong.

Thanks
    HF

Silver Member

Re: GPU Grid projects

GPUGrid has it's moments. Iseem to recall seeing a thing from GPUGrid about having plenty of work. I haven't done a bunker on it so I'm not sure if there is a general problem. Ran it for fun, ran it for a personal goal. Damn wuprop for it's stars. Right now I have CudaMiner tying up my nvidia card. I'll go ahead and back off on BU and think about loading up a bunker for the challenge. I really can't see how anyone could do something wrong if they are use to bunkering. (unless it's a firewall IP issue)

You might double check GPUGrid's preferences. Make sure you are not trying to run the android app. I'd suggest going ahead and only havethe 8 -12 hour on fastest card checkedand that's it unless you really want to use the CPU. Rebember, they don't have an app for ati/amd that works. (at least one I've ever seen) I know it does say they have one. If you look at the (use) section above that they have cpu and nvidia choices. AMD is NOT a choice.
    Last edited by Shandia; 04-21-15 at 03:49 AM.

Diamond Member

GPUGRID allows only two tasks per physical GPU. Bunkering not possible.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    GPUGRID allows only two tasks per physical GPU. Bunkering not possible.
    Not even if one babysits it and does the update while wu is in backoff? This project would be really hard core it was picked for the Pentathlon. Not able to bunker. Ones without nvidia cards left in the dust.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    Not even if one babysits it and does the update while wu is in backoff?
    Correct. Two max per GPU.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

GPUGrid wants their tasks turned around as fast as possible. They pay a premium for tasks that are returned quickly, so if you turn the task around in less than a day you get more points than if it takes you 2 or 3 days.

Silver Member

So there's a real trick to it then! Figure out how fast your card burns through the longs and wait until one under the time from the start of the challenge to start running wu's. Good thing to know. I managed to pick one wu up and it's 3 days until the start. I'll have to see how long it takes. I think I remember my card takes about 14 1/2 to 16 1/2 hours to complete a long with my nvidia card. I'll pick up a second around 20 hours until the start unless I just let the one I'm running now report and pick up my next around 30 hours til. Still gonna have to babysit to make sure to get that second one within the last day before.

Administrator

Even if bunkering was possible, it would be bad for the project. They use the returned results in generating new work, which is why they give a bonus for quick turnaround.

Silver Member

Thanks everyone for replying. I have bunkered this SOB before, some machines will some won't. Just drives me crazy when things don't work the way I think they should.

HF