Thread: Quake-Catcher Network: The Future of QCN (website hosting etc)

Diamond Member

Quake-Catcher Network: The Future of QCN (website hosting etc)

Funding for QCN is going to end in June because our remaining Stanford connection (Dr. Lawrence) is moving to work at CalTech. This means all of our funding (which isn't too much at this stage) goes back to the NSF - ie it can't be used for hardware, paying for future maintenance or hosting etc. Stanford will no longer be hosting QCN - so we are looking for a new home - possibly a cloud service such as Amazon EC2 or perhaps a web-hosting place such as godaddy. It would probably mean keeping our user tables but our archived data will be offline as it seems Stanford will not allow us to keep our hardware per terms of our NSF grant.I will be posting updates here on real possibilities and maybe a "gofundme" page. If worse comes to worse, we may have to shutdown and 'mothball' the project at the end of June.

More...

Diamond Member

Re: Quake-Catcher Network: The Future of QCN (website hosting etc)

Everyone got your goals met?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

So, I wonder if this affects all the QCN replicas out there. Do they all come back to the Stanford DB eventually?

Administrator

I think they do. One of the Taiwan projects was down for a long time and on their forum page they said it wasn't a problem because everything was mirrored to Stanford. They have their own sites but the ultimate destination is CA.