Thread: Ridiculous Time Left Estimates on QCN Projects

Platinum Member

Ridiculous Time Left Estimates on QCN Projects

I'm currently seeing this on La Red Atrapa Sismos, though I've seen it on a few other QCN-family projects. It's giving me a "time left" estimate that measures nearly two months (currently 54+ days). However, these tasks aren't running that long - they are completing in a day.

How do I fix this issue? It's preventing me from getting work on other projects, as they think I have too much work in my cache already...

EDIT: Do I want to use the "fraction_done_exact" command in the app_config file?

Gold Member

Re: Ridiculous Time Left Estimates on QCN Projects

There was a long discussion a month or two ago on how the crappy time estimates could be improved. The end result was that everyone agreed it needed to change. Then nothing. I've given up with Collatz. There are no GPU benchmarks and the CPU benchmarks only report the floating point data when requesting work and the server is only allowed to report the floating point calculations needed for a WU so when the project needs I/Os or does integer math, etc. the estimates are going to be total garbage. For GPUs, when the estimates don't match the CPU vs GPU performance of SETI, then the estimates are off there as well. BOINC used to have a setting on the server that controlled the ratio of FLOPS to IOPS but DA got rid of that -- probably because creditNew doesn't take integer operations into account.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Silver Member

I've had issues with QCN. I was hoping the other apps would be nicer. To date, I've received no credit.....but racked up a few hours. The estimated time is totally unreal. Still not quite sure what to make of this project.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    I've had issues with QCN. I was hoping the other apps would be nicer. To date, I've received no credit.....but racked up a few hours. The estimated time is totally unreal. Still not quite sure what to make of this project.
    The original QCN has been fine for me - even works well on Android. All the other ones have had their own problems, each in their own screwed up way. Some have ridiculous time estimates, some don't have WUs but seem obsessed with trying to get new WUs every 5 seconds or so, some just won't ever end...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    To date, I've received no credit.....but racked up a few hours.
    Do you have a sensor?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Do you have a sensor?
    lol! Yes, I have a sensor. Was a little put off due to not being in an area where it was free. It's a good thing it's locked up tight in storage because I'm just a little ticked and would put it next to the washing machine. These wood floors do a good job of letting you know which cycle it's on.