Thread: WCG - major frustration

Administrator

WCG - major frustration

I'm having a problem that I can't figure out. I have 2 machines that absolutely will NOT attach to someone else's account. It gives an error message about something being missing from the login. I've tried through BTasks and through the BOINC client as well ... neither will work. On the other machines it won't attach to the correct address BUT I managed to get 7 machines to attach via the "secure" address. WCG gives me the message that I'm using the wrong URL but it sends me work and does what it is supposed to do.

On all machines I can attach/detach/attach or whatever using my own account login and it works fine. I can attach/detach (as me) and then try to attach using the other account login (which is good) and it won't work. The two machines I can't get attached under Windows BOINC are running fine under Linux VM.

I'm at a loss ... any ideas?

Platinum Member

Re: WCG - major frustration

I've not had much luck attaching to my own account through the command line or the BOINC client either. I've resigned myself to the guess that it's because the username includes a space or the "[" "]" stuff for a "subteam." What I've found works for me is using the *username* (not email address) in BoincTasks or the "Account Key" (haven't tried the Weak Account Key) from the boinccmd commandline. You can get that key from the Settings page.

https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...ewMyProfile.do

Administrator

I've tried both the Username and email address and they give the same problem. I tried logging in with the full account key and it works kind of ... it logs me in to my account even though the key is for the other account. Perplexing and frustrating as can be. I'm really at a loss on this one.

EDIT: and when I detach it does remove all reference to WCG in the client_state files.
    Last edited by Bryan; 05-27-15 at 10:39 PM.

Silver Member

i hate wcg it gliches out on me all the time

Diamond Member

A long time ago I resigned myself to a user name at WCG that is different from all my other projects, for that very reason. I am not sure if it is the brackets or the space that causes the issue. Normal = "zombie67 [MM]", WCG = "zombie67". You can see here, it sticks out like a sore thumb:

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...49d87e35f26480

But at least it all works now. FWIW, I attach using my "zombie67", and not my email at WCG.
    Last edited by zombie67; 05-28-15 at 10:48 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Problem solved ... kind of.

WCG will allow me to attach to MY account but not to someone else's account .... most of the time. I do have a laptop I've never used for crunching WCG so I attached using the other account login. It creates a file in the BOINC directory called "account_www.worldcommunitygrid.org".

On the machines that wouldn't connect properly I shut down BOINC and copied that file from the laptop to the main cruncher's BOINC directory. When I started BOINC on the cruncher it shows that it is attaching to WCG. Everything works as expected then.

I still don't know what is causing this, but there is at least a work around. I didn't look at that file all that closely but it appears that you "strong" account key is embedded right at the beginning. You might be able to just change that to move from account to account.

Gold Member

Whenever I have problems connecting to WCG, I use the command line tool with the weak key. But, WCG problems seem to be immune to repair sometimes.