Thread: Step up or step back. BOINC 7.6.6 is going live in 10 days

Silver Member

Step up or step back. BOINC 7.6.6 is going live in 10 days

With this new version many changes have occurred. What we all are familiar with and have gotten accustom to in the many builds that have come and gone.....7.6.6 is a totally tweaked creature. The menus have ALL been messed with and re-labeled. This build is due to go live in 10 days as the current version ......unless the testers can find a show stopper. That's where we as a team need to step up to to the plate. If there is anyone who good at breaking BOINC, it's us. The next 10 days are very important since these are the last days to find any real issues before it goes out for general use. As a Alpha tester, I have this new version already on my main. The only thing I have going atm is PrimeGrid. In order for a good trashing of this new version, there needs to be many projects run to make or break this version. If you are currently signed up as a tester, you know what to do. (or should) If you are not a tester but would like to be, sign up! If you don't want to be a tester but want to see this new beast for yourself and help to try to break it, download it. If you manage to find an issue, please direct you comments here. I will be happy to send your comments and data logs onto the Alpha team.

I will warn you all now, they left very little the same as far as the layout and wording goes in the menus. It's going to be something to get use to. Some of the changes are far more than cosmetic. Not upgrading to the newer version or waiting until the bugs are fixed to upgrade may work for some of you. But in the best interest of all BOINC and the team, these bugs need to be found and fixed before it is put into general use in 10 DAYS!!!

Thanks team and crunch on!!

Platinum Member

Re: Step up or step back. BOINC 7.6.6 is going live in 10 days

Doesn't matter to me. They stopped compiling new releases for Linux back at 7.4.25. At this rate, I'll be forced to stop all BOINC'ing before very long.

Silver Member

Re: Step up or step back. BOINC 7.6.6 is going live in 10 days

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Doesn't matter to me. They stopped compiling new releases for Linux back at 7.4.25. At this rate, I'll be forced to stop all BOINC'ing before very long.
    WHAT?? Hopefully, they will make a new version soon. The biggest change of course is....."Able to deal with project files greater than 4GB". Software continues to get bigger. Apps continue to get bigger. More projects will be able to grow apps past the 4GB maximum of the current and previous versions. I'm sure Linux users will not be left behind for too long.

And here I am still running 7.2.42 on Linux. Had to switch drives just to check. I would send a message to Rom Walton.....but it may be a little mute. Not sure why they have created this version of BOINC now after finding this...unless it's a parting gift. All I can say is GASP and fuck that Ted Cruz. I routinely blast him on other forums for cutting off funding. But this draws the line. So yeah, it very well may be the ending of it all for all of us.

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 7:42 PM, David Anderson <davea@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
    > BOINC's funding from the U.S. National Science Foundation has ended,
    > at least for the time being.
    > This funding supported me, Rom Walton, and Charlie Fenton.
    > We're now working on other things,
    Last edited by Shandia; 07-17-15 at 10:46 PM.