Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SETI@Home: Big boost for SETI@home from Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Listen Initiative

Diamond Member

SETI@Home: Big boost for SETI@home from Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Listen Initiative

SETI@home and Berkeley SETI Research Center are proud to be participating in the new Breakthrough Listen initiative, that will dramatically expand the search for life beyond Earth. http://nyti.ms/1KfWuYF

More...

Gold Member

Re: SETI@Home: Big boost for SETI@home from Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Listen Initiat

Hi all,

Interesting. If SETI@HOME does get involved in this, it might change my mind and I could become part of the SETI set it and forget it crowd. Saw articles about the new search for ET push and thought I would come see what was know on the Boinc/SETI.USA side about it. If it turns out to be solid research it would interesting to join in.

I love how the internet articles title the story different ways. Russian billionaire pledges $100 million to search for aliens, British physicist Stephen Hawking launches USD 100 million search for aliens, Jewish billionaire funding $100 million project to find life in space, Russian Billionaire Gives $100M to UC Berkeley to Discover Alien Life, Stephen Hawking to join €90m search for alien life ... I just find it amusing

Hope all is well.

Em

Diamond Member

Re: SETI@Home: Big boost for SETI@home from Yuri Milner's Breakthrough Listen Initiat

The various reporters talking about BOINC reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

Have you ever seen a TV program, concerning a topic about which you were actually knowledgeable, spew forth anything other than total BS? I don't think I can recall one :-( It's scary! -- Malcolm Hoar
    I just assume any story I hear in the news is mostly wrong. Not necessarily out of malice, but at least due to incompetence.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

lol Anything to bring an EmSti back, even as a set and forget member, must be a good thing!

Please don't be a stranger around here even if that doesn't happen!

Here's to hoping your time away has treated you well also.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    lol Anything to bring an EmSti back, even as a set and forget member, must be a good thing!

Please don't be a stranger around here even if that doesn't happen!

Here's to hoping your time away has treated you well also.
    +1

We've missed you! Don't be a stranger damit!

Administrator

Hi Emsti ... really really good to hear from you.

When I saw the RSS title "Big Boost for Seti@home" I thought it was another announcement of DA leaving because he wasn't being paid .... damn!

Diamond Member

Let's see if this turns into S@H backend server stuff getting their shit together. Like most money that is given, I expect it to be squandered.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Did I hear a little squeak? I think someone is missing us! It starts as a curiosity that develops into an itch. Before long, scratching the itch part time isn't enough. Please feel free to join in on that set and forget group of ours EmSti. Just don't sit idle too long in that group. People are fighting tooth and nail to knock you down in the stats. Plus you've already missed out on the fun of the Pentathlon. We could of used your help even if it was one computer. Then you could say, "I was there to help my team take 1st place!" Next year will prove to be the reckoning. So take your time, get acclimated......we'll leave the light on for you and you know where the key is.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    Did I hear a little squeak? I think someone is missing us! It starts as a curiosity that develops into an itch. Before long, scratching the itch part time isn't enough. Please feel free to join in on that set and forget group of ours EmSti. Just don't sit idle too long in that group. People are fighting tooth and nail to knock you down in the stats. Plus you've already missed out on the fun of the Pentathlon. We could of used your help even if it was one computer. Then you could say, "I was there to help my team take 1st place!" Next year will prove to be the reckoning. So take your time, get acclimated......we'll leave the light on for you and you know where the key is.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

From what i've read about this, we may all have to spend a fortune on GPUs and become set and forgeters The new equipment they'll be using is far more sensitive than what they've been using. Also, not only will they be scanning 10x more of our galaxy, but are adding other galaxies as well. They will also be getting more time allotted to use the radio telescopes for searching. Basically the amount of data they're about to have to sift through is going to increase exponentially.

The new program dwarfs all previous searches. It will cover ten times the area on the sky, scan a swathe of the radio spectrum five times broader, and do all that one hundred times faster than any survey before.

The project will not only scan the million closest stars, it will also look for signals from throughout our galaxy. It will even look at the 100 closest galaxies, searching for extra-galactic signals.
    Somebody better donate a truck load of hard drives for all this data!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast