Thread: Weird BOINC behaviour

Administrator

Weird BOINC behaviour

I had a weird one happen tonight. I've been running Gerasim on 9 machines and had been averaging 8k/hr for over 12 hours. At the 18 hour mark I checked and my overall average had dropped to 7.5k/hr. I figured a machine had dropped out so I took a look 1st with BTasks. BTasks showed that all machines had a full load of work and all threads were occupied.

I then started looking at the machines with a monitor and I found that on 5 of them there was no cpu loading. BOINC showed running tasks BUT the time wasn't changing. Examining BTasks closer I saw that while it looked like there were running tasks for each thread the time wasn't incrementing. I rebooted those 5 machines and everything is back to normal.

There was a message on one machine, from Gerasim, saying something about the time had been reset and it was clearing/resetting ??? something. So I'm wondering if Windows did a automatic time update and it screwed up BOINC. Those 5 machines all stopped submitting WU to the project at 0030 on August 2. The other 4 machines continued to do their thing properly.

I'm a bit puzzled on this one .... I've never seen it before. It kind of sucks ... I lost 5 hours of crunch time from those machines.

Silver Member

Re: Weird BOINC behaviour

I know that my Win7Pro machine got an updated that shut everything down, and I don't have it set to do a login automatically... I had to do that manually when I got up the next day...

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Administrator

It wasn't a WIndows update, the machine have that "feature" turned off. I think it was a synchronization of the system clock to the internet time standard.

Silver Member

It's always something...

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!