Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member

Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Win 10 is out now. Free upgrade for any win7 or win8 users.

Has anyone tried it out with BOINC yet? Does it work? Any issues? Is there a minimum version of BOINC required? Did they change the directory locations? Is there any special trick needed to see to navigate to the BOINC directories?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

I've been using it for a while with no issues. No changes to BOINC dir's everything works well. Only thing I had to do was re-install the WinUSB drivers but that was smooth.

I actually like it too, hated win 8, but this is much better. Some horror stories about privacy and such though.

Gold Member

Works fine with no changes but as Bok said, beware of the privacy issues and make sure you install it with the "customize" option and not the normal M$ install. You can turn off a lot of items but if you want to use some of the new features you must have an M$ account set up and if you want "Cortana" you have to share your location.
    You do have 30 days to try it and then you can retreat to your old install through "recovery" and uninstall it if you don't like it.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I wont go to windows 10... What will happen after your years subscription is up?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/much-wi...151702409.html

Diamond Member

Thanks for the info.

WRT privacy, google already knows everything about me, one way or another. I have already resigned myself to that. If I want something private, it must stay air-gapped, or E2E encrypted. Otherwise, I assume companies have the info, and therefore the government knows it.

Advisor - Stateside Division

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

WRT privacy, google already knows everything about me, one way or another. I have already resigned myself to that. If I want something private, it must stay air-gapped, or E2E encrypted. Otherwise, I assume companies have the info, and therefore the government knows it.
    I hear ya

Silver Member

Right now I've upgraded 2 of 3 that can upgrade. Of course, I've upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and left the 8 alone. I really have no issues crunching on any version. It's more or less getting rid of the oldest OS first based on product support. I have one directly linked to my Microsoft account and one that is on a local account. I'll be taking time to finish up dealing with my downloading my apps with the one using My Microsoft account and then taking the second one and linking it with my Microsoft account so a proper link can be established and allow me to get my apps on that one too. After all is said and done, I usually only switch to my account over to my Microsoft account is for the use of the store. My main is the only one that I prefer to leave connected to my Microsoft account and is a real pain to have to log in each time. But I find it less of a hassle than have to change user accounts each time I need to do something that requires me the use of mail, the store or Microsoft Office.

The biggest benefit of upgrading right now is that even with the hype of needing legit copy of the previous OS, Microsoft has backed off from that stance unofficially. One of those systems I upgraded had Vista on it until I upgraded to 7 with a hack. Windows 10 did with the downloaded updates what Microsoft said it wouldn't do. And that is installing a full legit copy of 10 Pro over an illegal copy of 7 Pro. Now that 10 Pro is tied to that system and am not dealing with the restrictions that have been preached for weeks and months, I have the freedom to turn off much of the tracking stuff that is embedded into 10.

If you have multiple drives in your system like I do, now is the time to go ahead and tie the association of a computer to Windows 10 to have the unrestricted and legit version bound to that computer ID before Microsoft changes it's mind and goes back to dictating upgrade terms to the masses.

Diamond Member

FYI for those trying to upgrade a VMware installation. The upgrade within windows method fails due to a SVGA 3D issue. Instead of that, you need to install the ISO and go from there.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2126929

Gold Member

I am loving Windows 10, it runs MUCH better than 8 for me with BOINC.

Administrator

I use win7 and am happy with it. Any particularly driving reason I should change to 10?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast