Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

Gold Member

Re: Windows 10: Can it BOINC?

I upgraded 1 today, have 3 more in Q and 2 that I haven't been able to get windows to let it pass. I was working on 4 downloads of windows up grades to get it to work so maybe I screwed something on them. will work on it tomorrow, maybe.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Diamond Member

Here is a tip:

Many OSes require the user to log in. When we have dedicated crunchers, we want them to boot and go right back to crunching after something like a power outage. This is how to get win10 to skip that. Of course, don't use this unless you are sure no one else has physical access to the machine.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-au...in-windows-10/
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I wont go to windows 10... What will happen after your years subscription is up?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/much-wi...151702409.html

Diamond Member

Naw. He's just plain wrong. It's not a subscription. Nothing expires.

The "one year" thing is the period for which you qualify for a free upgrade. If you wait more than a year, you will have to buy it, just like normal.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Right now I've upgraded 2 of 3 that can upgrade. Of course, I've upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and left the 8 alone. I really have no issues crunching on any version. It's more or less getting rid of the oldest OS first based on product support. I have one directly linked to my Microsoft account and one that is on a local account. I'll be taking time to finish up dealing with my downloading my apps with the one using My Microsoft account and then taking the second one and linking it with my Microsoft account so a proper link can be established and allow me to get my apps on that one too. After all is said and done, I usually only switch to my account over to my Microsoft account is for the use of the store. My main is the only one that I prefer to leave connected to my Microsoft account and is a real pain to have to log in each time. But I find it less of a hassle than have to change user accounts each time I need to do something that requires me the use of mail, the store or Microsoft Office.

The biggest benefit of upgrading right now is that even with the hype of needing legit copy of the previous OS, Microsoft has backed off from that stance unofficially. One of those systems I upgraded had Vista on it until I upgraded to 7 with a hack. Windows 10 did with the downloaded updates what Microsoft said it wouldn't do. And that is installing a full legit copy of 10 Pro over an illegal copy of 7 Pro. Now that 10 Pro is tied to that system and am not dealing with the restrictions that have been preached for weeks and months, I have the freedom to turn off much of the tracking stuff that is embedded into 10.

If you have multiple drives in your system like I do, now is the time to go ahead and tie the association of a computer to Windows 10 to have the unrestricted and legit version bound to that computer ID before Microsoft changes it's mind and goes back to dictating upgrade terms to the masses.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Here is a tip:

Many OSes require the user to log in. When we have dedicated crunchers, we want them to boot and go right back to crunching after something like a power outage. This is how to get win10 to skip that. Of course, don't use this unless you are sure no one else has physical access to the machine.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-au...in-windows-10/
    I tried this and it works well. I have done it to all my boxes and now I don't have to log in everytime I reboot. Thanks.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I went ahead an tried the windows 10 upgrade.
    What the heck ?

As soon as cache is done, I'm wiping the drive and putting 7 back on.
    It's too much computer time to try to learn all this stuff and so many things are added I'll never use.
    Not to mention trying to find things. What a mess !
    TeamSpeak 3 will be down until this is fixed.
    Boinc works ok at least and it didn't drop the cache upgrading

Gold Member

[QUOTE=DrBackJack;98931]I went ahead an tried the windows 10 upgrade.
    What the heck ?

As soon as cache is done, I'm wiping the drive and putting 7 back on.
    It's too much computer time to try to learn all this stuff and so many things are added I'll never use.
    Not to mention trying to find things. What a mess !
    TeamSpeak 3 will be down until this is fixed.
    Boinc works ok at least and it didn't drop the cache upgrading [/QUOTEYou have 30 days to do a recovery from "settings" to go back to your old OS> No need to wipe it clean and start over.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

I have 3 of the 5 that I can upgraded to 10 and will do the other 2 as soon as I can. I'm not seeing any problem but then I'm not the power user some of you are. I get tired of using 4 or 5 different oses.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Past Administrator

Just an FYI:

1) In order for the "Free Win10 Upgrade Icon" to appear in your Win7 SystemTray, you must have Win7 SP-1 (Service Pack 1) installed.
    2) When you DL your free Win10 upgrade as an ISO image (to burn to DVD or imaged on a thumbdrive), your license key is integrated into the image. So Never lose/delete that image file, or you will have to pay for Win10 after the free upgrade period has expired.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast