Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendations on a New Build

Diamond Member

Re: Need Recommendations on a New Build

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Hmmm, are you sure...?
    Quiet, you!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

I figured that I could last at least a week instead of 2 days before starting to think about more rigs. So here is my dilemma; I'm now retired from Massive Dynamics and no longer have access to computers that are in storage. That and being a "senior" on a fixed income limits what I can build; although, selling my meds has crossed my mind... but that would be wrong... so I don't know what would be a better course of action, a cheap build with new hardware or buying an older used system from eBay and upgrading what's needed.

Any thought?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Platinum Member

After this Pentathlon, you may find you suddenly have an easily accessible market to sell your meds in

You might look into buying a used Dell T5500 from eBay. They're cheap, and upgrading them is cheap too.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    After this Pentathlon, you may find you suddenly have an easily accessible market to sell your meds in

You might look into buying a used Dell T5500 from eBay. They're cheap, and upgrading them is cheap too.
    What would be your recommendation for the minimum specs on a video card?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    What would be your recommendation for the minimum specs on a video card?
    Hard to say without knowing your budget. But a lot of the GTX 900 series cards have been marked down because the 1000 series is out now, so you might look into them. However it shouldn't be too long before you can get a GTX 1070 for around $400 that has the same performance as a Titan X. So if your budget is $400, wait on a 1070 (do not waste your money on the $450 Founders Edition. It's garbage). If it's less, look at the 900 series.

Edit: Forgot you're really into Milkyway. An R9 280X is a really great choice in that case. Still nothing better.

Gold Member

I have a feeling there will be some hardware for sale on these here boards very soon, and for a good price

GTX 970 is a great card, so is the 980. But like JPM said, if you're feeling generous with yourself, wait for the 1070.

Platinum Member

Since you retired from Massive Dynamic, if you ever met Walter Bishop while you were there, he'd likely buy you any graphics card you wanted. He's loopy enough to be talked into things

Administrator

Just looked at the GTX 950 for $140 which is doable; however, anything over $200 for a video card is too much at the moment.

A couple of years ago The Annihilatrix gave up the ghost so I refitted it with a MSI X79A-GD45 MB and an i7 4820k CPU. I'm still using the same Radeon HD 5870 video cards but I only have one in at the moment... I should probably reinstall the other two. It's all still in a Cooler Master HAF X case powered by a Ultra X4 1200w PSU. Yeah, I know, the PSU is a bit much but it keeps me warm in the winter.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Since you retired from Massive Dynamic, if you ever met Walter Bishop while you were there, he'd likely buy you any graphics card you wanted. He's loopy enough to be talked into things
    lol

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Just looked at the GTX 950 for $140 which is doable; however, anything over $200 for a video card is too much at the moment.

A couple of years ago The Annihilatrix gave up the ghost so I refitted it with a MSI X79A-GD45 MB and an i7 4820k CPU. I'm still using the same Radeon HD 5870 video cards but I only have one in at the moment... I should probably reinstall the other two. It's all still in a Cooler Master HAF X case powered by a Ultra X4 1200w PSU. Yeah, I know, the PSU is a bit much but it keeps me warm in the winter.
    I have a GTX 960 that I picked up cheap prior to the Pentathlon. If you're looking in that range, I'm happy to pass on the savings.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast