Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote desktop programs.

Silver Member

Remote desktop programs.

Ok I would love some more info on these but I don't want the "losing a laptop" hijacked from it. If no ones noticed its a OCD thing. Mostly because in 2 years from now when someone wants to find data on something they won't have to read 100 useless comments wha'll trying to solve an issue.

Ok now that that is out, What remote programs dose the team use? maybe we can find a "best" for future users? Please Post what you use and what you Do/ or Don't like about it?
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

Re: Remote desktop programs.

I'm a TeamViewer fan myself. I'm able to use it to control machines remotely, I can VPN in to run proxy server software, and my computers work. And I'm able to talk my grandmother through using it, so it's easy...

Past Administrator

To reiterate I use UltraVNC. Dynamic IP addressing is not a concern of mine since all my systems are on my local network. I have used TEamViewer but it was a hassle to use as it kept timing out while I was servicing my sister's Toshiba Laptop.

For the sake of completeness since I mentioned the free DynDns service, I will go through the process of creating an account with them and test it. I will report the results in a day or two.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I use Teamviewer to take care of my kids computers since it is easier then trying to explain how to fix a problem. Take over there confuser and fix it myself.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    To reiterate I use UltraVNC. Dynamic IP addressing is not a concern of mine since all my systems are on my local network.
    Same here. Ultravnc and fixed IPs.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

I wrote an article for one of the last Team Newsletters. From work I use Putty to connect to my Linux computers by ssh.

Besides that, "Select Computer" from the boinc manager of a working GUI.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

LogMeIn (www.logmein.com)

Web based. No conflict with GPOU crunching. Free version supports multiple PCs so unless you need remote file copy, the free version is all you need.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Silver Member

I've been using RealVNC. I don't have any problems with it but it does take a little router port configuration if you want to go WAN with it, otherwise it's not been a problem.
    Works well for me.

Silver Member

While looking for Remote Desktop software, I found that Windows 7 has something called Remote Desktop Connection. Is this safe to use over the internet? Are there better solutions such as those mentioned in this thread? It's either remote control or turn the boxes off for a couple of weeks.

Gold Member

I don't know about the one in Win 7 but with Team Viewer you don't have to install it. There is a run option that you can use and it then gives you the option of running it or installing. You will then be given you IP and a code that you have to give to whoever you are connecting to, I like this program just for theose reasons. Very easy to use as well and it gives you the option to upload or download item if you want to or need to.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast