Thread: GPU: Won't allow machine to boot

Diamond Member

GPU: Won't allow machine to boot

I have a machine with a couple of TITAN (original) cards in it. All of a sudden, it's down and won't boot. Won't even get to BIOS. Trial and error shows that it is one of the GPUs.I tried moving cards from slot to slot. And I tried switching around the PCIe power cords to make sure it was not a PSU issue.

What could be wrong with a GPU that could cause a machine to not event boot to BIOS? A short or something? Any way to fix? I really like these original TITAN cards for the better double precision performance.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Re: GPU: Won't allow machine to boot

I have a GTX780 that does the same thing ... tried it in multiple machines with the same result.

Gold Member

I am RMA'ing a Asus board now that will boot with 1 card in either the #1 or #2 slot but will not boot with 2 cards. Spentt 1 1/2 hours trouble shooting with them before they decided it was a board problem. 3 monthe old Sabertooth that previously was an RMA due to a LAN problem. Hate to say it but I am not happy with this board.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I am RMA'ing a Asus board now that will boot with 1 card in either the #1 or #2 slot but will not boot with 2 cards. Spentt 1 1/2 hours trouble shooting with them before they decided it was a board problem. 3 monthe old Sabertooth that previously was an RMA due to a LAN problem. Hate to say it but I am not happy with this board.
    Please tell me it's not the x99 sabertooth. I just ordered it last night.

Gold Member

No. A Z97 Sabertooth Mark2.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Is it that time of year? I woke up this morning to two down computers. One of them was stuck after checking the dvd for a disk. Over a few more reboots, it stalled on detecting the drives, then stalled at the memory check, then stalled just after initializing the bios, to no post. Luckily it was just a power problem with the 4 pin mobo connector on the board and is back up after re-attaching the power wires to the busted port. Yes, the original power port on the board burnt up and I fixed the wires strait to the mobo.