Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $100 cruncher

Diamond Member

$100 cruncher

Hell, Windows 10 alone costs $99. Consider this buying win10 and get a free cruncher.

Kangaroo Mobile Desktop Computer

Win10 64 bit
    Four core (4 thread) Intel x64 CPU
    2gb RAM
    32gb SSD
    HDMI, supports Displays up to 4k
    Can also use an iPad as a monitor
    internal battery
    Fingerprint reader
    wi-fi
    bluetooth
    microSD
    0.52" x 3.17" x 4.88"
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Re: $100 cruncher

I wonder how the Intel Atom X5-Z8500 stacks up against the quad-core ARM processor running the Amazon Fire TV. I've got mine running WCG on BOINC 24/7, and I've thought about buying a couple more. $85/each for 4 cores and low power... tempting!

Diamond Member

Here is the thing: Only a few projects have apps for ARM. This is a real x64 CPU with real win64 OS. All but one or two projects have apps for that.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

TSBT is fond of low power systems.

zombie67 is correct that you have more project options with an Intel X64 Win system, but it still only has 2 GB RAM. Which is more than enough for a lot of project apps, but not all. Any heat issues on those systems?

And there's more than a few ARM android project apps; Collatz, Milkyway, Einstein, WCG OET, Seti, Seti Beta, CSG SubsetSum, Yoyo OGR, Moo! Wrapper, Universe, Enigma, Asteroids, Rosetta (if you're lucky), POGS and WuProp.

Here's some links to our discussions about the various systems...
    http://www.tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=136
    http://www.tsbt.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=140

This is a descent android TV box. Amlogic S802 2Ghz, quad core, 2G RAM, 8GB eMMC storage, $52 Amazon Prime http://amzn.com/B00JDCO22I

The RK3288 boxes are the fastest android TV systems I've seen. Cost a little more, probably worth it.

All the android TV systems use 10 watts or less. How many watts does the Intel system draw? The PSU output is rated at 36 watts.
    Last edited by scole of TSBT; 12-10-15 at 07:58 PM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    And there's more than a few ARM android project apps; Collatz, Milkyway, Einstein, WCG OET, Seti, Seti Beta, CSG SubsetSum, Yoyo OGR, Moo! Wrapper, Universe, Enigma, Asteroids, Rosetta (if you're lucky), POGS and WuProp.
    Heh. In my book, that is "only a few".

Silver Member

Would purchasing such a thing for crunching actually even be worth it compared to your average budget desktop?
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    Would purchasing such a thing for crunching actually even be worth it compared to your average budget desktop?
    Depends on your goals. Is it low initial cost? Low operating cost? Credit? Hours? If you are looking for low operating costs and awesome hours, then 4 of these over a budget PC is the way to go.

Administrator

Here comes Santa Claus ... maybe. A couple of days before we headed south for the winter the fan in the laptop I use to run the Asic miners crapped out so I had ot shut them down. Since we are going home for Christmas this might make an excellent replacement just for running RM35s

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Here comes Santa Claus ... maybe. A couple of days before we headed south for the winter the fan in the laptop I use to run the Asic miners crapped out so I had ot shut them down. Since we are going home for Christmas this might make an excellent replacement just for running RM35s
    Yep! And with the internal battery like a laptop, it should deal with short term power outages nicely.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Depends on your goals. Is it low initial cost? Low operating cost? Credit? Hours? If you are looking for low operating costs and awesome hours, then 4 of these over a budget PC is the way to go.
    I like the way you put that "awesome hours". It would be some great wuprop and WCG feed for the power consumption. I may even look into a few of these myself. With streaming video being a thing, it would save on the electric bill for at least one tv here. (and increase by 4 cores at least)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast