Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $100 cruncher

Gold Member

Re: $100 cruncher

I love the idea of stacking these up for big hours at low operating cost. Then I start doing the math... For the price of 5 or 6 if these little crunchers I could add a 24-thread Xeon machine with room for another GPU

Electric bill be damned... I may never learn!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    I love the idea of stacking these up for big hours at low operating cost. Then I start doing the math... For the price of 5 or 6 if these little crunchers I could add a 24-thread Xeon machine with room for another GPU

Electric bill be damned... I may never learn!
    I went through the same thought process a couple of days ago and reached the same conclusion However, I think they will make a excellent machine for running a boatload of NCIs and BU miners! As Z pointed out, they have full blown Win 64 installed so if you stay within the RAM limitation you can run anything ... that is a big plus for my needs!

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I went through the same thought process a couple of days ago and reached the same conclusion However, I think they will make a excellent machine for running a boatload of NCIs and BU miners! As Z pointed out, they have full blown Win 64 installed so if you stay within the RAM limitation you can run anything ... that is a big plus for my needs!
    So you are going to buy one/some? Please report back!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

One thing I can report back is "God help you if you need technical support". Their support people have absolutely no idea how a computer works

I called to see how much "user" memory was left of the 2Gb after Win10 boots. For the 1st few minutes they kept wanting to tell me how much storage was left. I finally got across to the guy that I didn't really care about storage I wanted to know about RAM. When he finally got what I was talking about he said he didn't have any problems running programs like Netflix etc. After a few minutes of that I explained I didn't give a damn about streaming video etc I just wanted to know how much memory I had to run MY programs. He went to check with someone else and told me I would have to call Microsoft for the answer. I thanked him and hung up. BTW, he thought I had one so earlier he told me to look at "Task Manager".

So I was on their webpage and I got a popup for live chat from their support people so I tried again. After asking about remaining usable memory I got a long dissertation on how much storage I would have. After explaining once again that I was interested in RAM the support tech said they would check. They came back with the answer of 2Gb. Wow, so you guys have RAM available just for the OS and there is a full 2Gb left for the user and I was told YES.

A couple of hours later I decided to try the phone support again. Wouldn't you know it I got a hold of the same support tech. So I asked him again and I was told again that I needed to contact Microsoft. I asked him why I needed to do that when what I wanted to know was what their product did. I said all you have to do is boot the damn thing and look at Task Mgr like you told me to do earlier. So he finally did that and Win10 is using 1.1G at initial boot.

The bottom line is you have a max of 900M left for programs. QCN takes 101M so you can't even run ALL the NCI projects without getting into the pagefile ... that probably would work okay on NCI tasks.

Can someone tell me how much memory is required to run a BU 20GHz WU?

@Z Depending on the above answer I'll probably order 1-3 of the suckers.

Silver Member

No slot for a GPU

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    No slot for a GPU
    Even if it did have a slot I don't think the processor would have the balls to keep it fed

Administrator

Anybody home?

Gold Member

Couldn't you reinstall Windows using the original product key, but select 32-bit? That version only requires 1Gb RAM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Couldn't you reinstall Windows using the original product key, but select 32-bit? That version only requires 1Gb RAM.
    Dunno. It may not have a standard BIOS that would allow that. It may just have an image on the memory card that is setup specifically to run that machine.

If it has a BIOS that allows booting off of USB then you could probably get it to work.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Anybody home?

According to reb, about 5MB http://www.bitcoinutopia.net/bitcoin...?id=1000#10672

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast