Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $100 cruncher

Administrator

Re: $100 cruncher

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Thanks Steve, that is what I was hoping to hear. I'm going to order some of the toy computers and see if I can get the BU miners back up and running while we're home for Christmas.

EDIT: 3 on the way
    Last edited by Bryan; 12-12-15 at 10:14 PM.

Administrator

Started playing with one of them

Very easy setup. Installed TeamViewer and BOINC. I have WuProp and 4 NCI tasks running and right now I'm running some BU CPU for hours/playing. Looking at the WU hash rate versus I7-3930 it appears that the Kangaroo core is approx 1/3 the speed of a 3930 thread. So from a crunching standpoint all 4 cores are about equivalent to one of the cruncher threads. From a WuProp standpoint it produces 4X the hours.

I tired a quick BU Asic setup and I couldn't get it to work. Did the Zadig driver update and BU downloaded tasks but the miners didn't turn on. I tried running my stand alone Cgminer app and it didn't find the miner. It can never be easy!!!!

Can someone think of a project that has VERY short WU for WIndows CPU?

BTW, it is very small ... about the size of a cell phone.

Gold Member

I hope you can get your BU setup working! If you're looking for short-running work units, try Enigma. A couple of the SRBase apps are short running, but I'm concerned those would generate too much heat for a fanless CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

Very easy setup. Installed TeamViewer and BOINC. I have WuProp and 4 NCI tasks running and right now I'm running some BU CPU for hours/playing. Looking at the WU hash rate versus I7-3930 it appears that the Kangaroo core is approx 1/3 the speed of a 3930 thread. So from a crunching standpoint all 4 cores are about equivalent to one of the cruncher threads. From a WuProp standpoint it produces 4X the hours.

I tired a quick BU Asic setup and I couldn't get it to work. Did the Zadig driver update and BU downloaded tasks but the miners didn't turn on. I tried running my stand alone Cgminer app and it didn't find the miner. It can never be easy!!!!

Platinum Member

You could also work a project like Rosetta where you can tell how long to let the WU run..

Silver Member

Try Micro Collatz Conjecture made for small cpu.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    Try Micro Collatz Conjecture made for small cpu.
    That might actually work quite well because you can only get micros on 1.5ghz processors or slower. As I recall, they aren't necessarily short.
    Last edited by Al; 12-20-15 at 12:45 PM.

Administrator

UPDATE:

I don't think the Collatz Micro will run on Windows. I tried to download some and it wouldn't give me any. Those are for Android and Arm machines.

I haven't done anymore on trying to get BU running on the Kangaroos. There are some gotchas that make them unusable for my "remote" application. There is no BIOS so I can't set them up to reboot on a power failure. I use that feature to reboot machines if they get hung up ... I cycle the power on a programmable power strip. When these are plugged in they go into a charging/standby mode until you press the power button. Also, since it is Win 10 it does the automatic update thing which is unacceptable to me.

They are excellent for stars/hours and that is the way I will use them. I'll take them back to TX after Christmas and use them where I can push the button if needed

I figured out a solution for running my miners. I was using an old laptop but the fan crapped out 2 days before we headed south. I finally remembered that we had a small HP Netbook which is a tiny Win7 computer w/ a dual core Atom processor. We used to use that for email when we traveled. I blew the dust off and now I have it controlling some RM35s so I'm back in business

One nice thing about coming back to CO for Christmas is that I have the machines crunching SRBase full bore and heat is no issue at all. When it is 30 degrees outside all you have to do is open the window slightly

EDIT: I found out how to stop the automatic update.
    Last edited by Bryan; 12-21-15 at 05:53 PM.

Silver Member

UPDATE:

I don't think the Collatz Micro will run on Windows. I tried to download some and it wouldn't give me any. Those are for Android and Arm machines.

I haven't done anymore on trying to get BU running on the Kangaroos. There are some gotchas that make them unusable for my "remote" application. There is no BIOS so I can't set them up to reboot on a power failure. I use that feature to reboot machines if they get hung up ... I cycle the power on a programmable power strip. When these are plugged in they go into a charging/standby mode until you press the power button. Also, since it is Win 10 it does the automatic update thing which is unacceptable to me.

They are excellent for stars/hours and that is the way I will use them. I'll take them back to TX after Christmas and use them where I can push the button if needed

I figured out a solution for running my miners. I was using an old laptop but the fan crapped out 2 days before we headed south. I finally remembered that we had a small HP Netbook which is a tiny Win7 computer w/ a dual core Atom processor. We used to use that for email when we traveled. I blew the dust off and now I have it controlling some RM35s so I'm back in business

One nice thing about coming back to CO for Christmas is that I have the machines crunching SRBase full bore and heat is no issue at all. When it is 30 degrees outside all you have to do is open the window slightly

EDIT:: I found out how to stop the automatic update.

Micro Collatz Conjecture

From Slicker

A few people have requested Micro Collatz work units for CPUs on Windows and Linux. Because not everyone wants them due to their short duration, I have added logic such that it will send the Micro work units only if the Measured Integer Speed is 4294 million ops/second or less. That number was chosen as it equates to that of a Intel E2160 Core 2 Duo running @ 1.8Ghz which is the slowest CPU I currently own but capable of running the Mini Collatz work units. In other words, it was a somewhat random choice and can be easily changed if the consensus is to make it either larger or smaller. The goal is so that those with older slower CPUs can receive Micro Collatz work units and complete them in a reasonable amount of time while keeping faster CPUs crunching for > 30 minutes. So, please let me know if this change causes any problems.

Administrator

Interesting Dave. I tried again with the same result that "no tasks for Micro" are available. The server shows 40 but maybe it is truly out of work.

Diamond Member

So, please let me know if this change causes any problems.
    Did you ask him to raise the limit to a faster CPU?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast