Thread: OK then, how about a $139 cruncher?

Platinum Member

OK then, how about a $139 cruncher?

From SolidRun, the company that brought us the Hummingboard, how about this next generation solution?

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...otta-cash.html

Unlike the Hummingboard the CuBox-i4Pro isn’t a bare board, it’s enclosed in a very neat black case that makes it a sleek 2.17” (w) by 2.17” (d) by1.65” (h) cube
    ARM, so it's Android/Linux only it seems for now, but enough to pique any interest around here?

EDIT: LOL seems NetWork World is re-publishing year old articles for the New Years celebration.

Past Administrator

Re: OK then, how about a $139 cruncher?

Newegg's eBay presence has it on sale for $109. When the developers come out with a 4K version, I'll have to give it a look-see.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

With regards to the new Intel Compute Stick - 32GB/2GB Portable how do I run it without having a hdmi port? I need to understand how can I run a bunch of these computers when i only have at home one laptop. Can you guys guide me, point me to websites on this subject? Thank you a bunch.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...-micro-sdxc-wi

Past Administrator

Unless I am mistaken, you must use a monitor or TV with HDMI. You may be able you use an HDMI/DVI adapter or one of the HDMI/xxx variants.

Once you have the stick set up, you can most likely run it headless and just use BoincTasks to contol it's crunching and TeamViewer to manages the stick itself.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

What happens if I plug it into my laptop? I'm keen to start building a farm of them but I need to understand how to connect them and control them headless.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Is that an Atom processor? Do they run the x86 apps like other Intel CPU systems? I still think the android tv boxes are a better option for low cost, low power options. You can get a RK3288 android tv box here in the US for around $65. Not as many projects as x86 but how much usable RAM is there on the compute sticks? How many apps will run in that space? And they don't need to be plugged into anything. They can run headless in corner somewhere.