Thread: SETI@Home: SETI@home Version 8 has been released.

Diamond Member

SETI@Home: SETI@home Version 8 has been released.

SETI@home version 8 has been released. This version finally gives us the ability to process data from multiple sources, including the Green Bank Telescope. That means we'll be ready for data from Breakthrough Listen when it's available.

We're releasing the versions for CPUs first. We'll release versions for graphics processing units (GPUs) and Android devices as they come available. We're releasing slowly so as not to overtax our download server.

We've also made small changed to our science code to improve the Gaussian fitting routines. This means version 8 results are not compatible with version 7. So if you use a version of SETI@home you got from another site, or if you compile your own version, you'll need to get or build a version 8 application. I'm sure link will be made available in the Number Crunching forum.

Happy New Year!

More...

Diamond Member

Re: SETI@Home: SETI@home Version 8 has been released.

New app for wuprop hours!

But if you are crunching for credits, best to wait for optimized apps to be available.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

I'm crossing my fingers to get some WU's.

Past Administrator

I just realized my rigs weren't pulling any SETI work now that I got home from vacation. I uninstalled Lunatic's opti-app, but that still didn't work. Had to do a remove / re-add the project to get it to pull new work. Just in case anyone has the same problem...

Silver Member

I should check my systems for issues. My main is running SETI without issues. Then again, I haven't bothered with lunatics since I'm busy polishing apps for wuprop. Each system is running something different so I'll check where I am on things......in a few months. LOL You all know I can't go that long without tweaking something. The last few weeks it's been a heat issue. It's plnty cold outside but it's summer temps inside with just my 3 with 4 gpus and miners running and no heater. UG! How did I survive the summer like this?

Platinum Member

I am getting SETI WU's now on my office machine and one of the phones, but it is still v7. Oh well, still need to crunch it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    I am getting SETI WU's now on my office machine and one of the phones, but it is still v7. Oh well, still need to crunch it.
    Be sure you have V8 checked in your project preferences. I just downloaded some onto my "toy" computers.

Silver Member

I haven't seen one of the v8 either. Don't feel bad if you don't get any for a while. Since telling my main to work it, I haven't picked up Astropulse either. I may change the settings to exclude v7 when I hit 10,000 hours. 7,478.52 and sitting still on wuprop atm. (thank you Ralph for undermining my SETI app ambitions)

EDIT -- My mistake. I see one astropulse sitting in the waiting to report pile. lol

EDIT -- DrPop is right. SETI seems to be out of work for anything v7 atm. Looking at my event log, it kept popping a message that I wasn't configured for v8. (despite my main only being about 2 weeks into this install.....boinc on the other hand being a Frankenstein of several re-installs of the os) Resetting the project did nothing. Removing and re-attaching SETI did the trick. I really hope v7 gets more work. I'd hate to miss out on that app getting to 10,000 hours.
    Last edited by Shandia; 01-07-16 at 09:25 AM.

Platinum Member

I have it checked. One Astropulse sneaked through though.