Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for PWM fan speed controller

Gold Member

Suggestions for PWM fan speed controller

I just got a pretty good deal on some fans. One problem, though is that they have the 4-pin rather than the 3-pin connectors. I'd like to get a fan controller that I can set the fan speed to some specific rpm (set my own value rather than just using a slider).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get and know where I can get a good deal on one?
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Re: Suggestions for PWM fan speed controller

The NZXT Grid+ would work. But, as noted in this forum it requires an internet connection to adjust settings through the CAM software interface. The V2 version just came out and accepts either 3- or 4-pin cables... it controls them with voltage (rather than PWM) and the fans can be individually controlled using prescribed or custom settings.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/735...iew/index.html
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...SIN=B0156YBCKG

Gold Member

I'm looking for PWM if possible.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

I am using mCubed's T-Balancer which is made in Germany and imported by HFX. Problem is, it is very hard to find an eTailer that sells the darn thing and just as hard to configure.

An alternative might be the Aquacomputer aquaero 5 LT USB fan-controller (link) Please note that I have never personally used the aquaero. Aquacomputer also makes more advanced (= more $$$) controllers (Link).

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Not sure if this would serve your purpose, but there's this: http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PW...AYMY9CJZF9MZQE

It reports the fans RPM by plugging it into any motherboard PWM fan header, which can be controlled in BIOS. All fans plugged into this module will run at the same speed. Sometimes that's what you want though so maybe this would work in your case?
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 01-18-16 at 10:07 PM.

Silver Member

In a past build i used a 3 channel fan controller, nothing special just plug your 3 or 4 pin fans in and you had a knob for each channel in front (took a drive bay), point i'm getting as is be careful with them as they usually have no safety circuitry or fuses. While re-doing my cable management (with power on derp) I had two fans unplugged and since I needed extensions their were exposed pins so the little fan controller nuked 2 channels when i let the leads drop and hit the metal chassis, pretty stupid that a simple 12v circuit didn't have short protection, it was cheap but I guess you get what you pay for.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Not sure if this would serve your purpose, but there's this: http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-8W-PW...AYMY9CJZF9MZQE

It reports the fans RPM by plugging it into any motherboard PWM fan header, which can be controlled in BIOS. All fans plugged into this module will run at the same speed. Sometimes that's what you want though so maybe this would work in your case?
    I'm just now seeing how this works and I think that is exactly what I need. I was afraid of powering that many fans off of one fan connector, but this powers them off the PSU while keeping the PWM functionality.

I have the 140mm fan on the motherboard connector. I'll run the 4 120s off of the CPU controller.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I'm just now seeing how this works and I think that is exactly what I need. I was afraid of powering that many fans off of one fan connector, but this powers them off the PSU while keeping the PWM functionality.

I have the 140mm fan on the motherboard connector. I'll run the 4 120s off of the CPU controller.
    $8 shipping at amazon. I got it at Walmart for the same price free shipping.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Huh...i never would've thought to look at Walmart for Swiftech products...lesson learned

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Huh...i never would've thought to look at Walmart for Swiftech products...lesson learned
    Yeah, Walmart is trying to keep up with Amazon. You'd be surprised by what they have. Sometimes, you can even have it sent to the store for pickup.
    6r39 7r199

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast