Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

Platinum Member

Re: Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

Using 4 sticks of RAM will always lower your max OC vs. just 2. OC records are usually broken using just 1. Keep the RAM and downclock it to 3000

Gold Member

I decided to return the RAM and get a 32gb set of DDR 2400 that is on the QVL for my mobo. I doubt I'd see much real world gains at 3000 vs 2400, plus I can run the new set at lower 1.2v! It's what I should have done in the first place

Meanwhile, NZXT called and they are replacing my 280x but not the motherboard. They tested it and couldn't generate any errors, so they'll be shipping it back. Not too sure how I feel about that, since I was getting horizontal lines across the screen when using the on board graphics. Maybe something was still damp and now has dried out? I wouldn't think the CPU would be damaged by water dripping on the motherboard below, but who knows Anyway, guess I'll piece another system together - Wasp Redux Redux??

Platinum Member

Not Wasp ReDux-Dux?

Gold Member

WaspRedux lives!! A couple days ago I received a new R9 280X (XFX replaced it on RMA) and my motherboard back from NZXT. They had already sent me a new cooler - they upgraded me to an X61 from the X31.

They couldn't find anything wrong with the mobo, and it seems to be working fine now. I'm guessing it still had some moisture in the slots when I sent it in.

Altogether a pretty good RMA experience, although it took a little longer than I would have liked. The NZXT team kept me in the loop, even calling me occasionally to let me know how the testing was going.

Meanwhile, I just sent an MSI 280x for RMA today. I bought it on ebay and had no idea if there was any warranty period left, but they accepted it! So hopefully in a few weeks WaspRedux will be back at full capacity with dual GPUs!

Platinum Member

Interesting...i have an MSI 280x i need to RMA also bought on ebay. Hope i have as much luck as you!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Interesting...i have an MSI 280x i need to RMA also bought on ebay. Hope i have as much luck as you!
    I just put the serial number in on their site, briefly described the issue, and it was approved immediately. Good luck!

Gold Member

Can't get any 4-stick kit to work with this X99 system, even with XMP disabled and no OC on the CPU

I have a few days left to return the 32gb DDR4 2400 kit, but it's too late to return the 16gb DDR4 3200. I should have coughed up for a 2-stick 32gb kit, and I may end up doing that.

I've been doing a lot more photography lately, and getting into some video - so I imagine I'm going to want the 32gb when I move this machine to the home office.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Any BIOS updates?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    Any BIOS updates?
    I tried the latest beta bios as well as the release just prior to that. The 4-stick kit passes all Memtest86 testing but fails to boot Windows using the XMP profile. With XMP disabled it boots to Windows but crashes under load.

This will be the home office computer, so above all it needs to be stable. I don't need it crashing while my wife is working on it... she'll put it on the curb and I'll never see it again

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    I tried the latest beta bios as well as the release just prior to that. The 4-stick kit passes all Memtest86 testing but fails to boot Windows using the XMP profile. With XMP disabled it boots to Windows but crashes under load.

This will be the home office computer, so above all it needs to be stable. I don't need it crashing while my wife is working on it... she'll put it on the curb and I'll never see it again
    Run the test again and try to boot with only 2 sticks in. If it crashes, swap the sticks out for the other pair. BTW......turning off the XMP was a good decision. Two of my computers support it.....both crash or won't boot with it on. Something about not syncing with the clock settings of my cpu. (even with no OC) Come to think about it, those are the culprits right down there at the bottom of my stuff. Also IF your wife's computer happens to be running 10, Set up a drive with a different OS and see if it still crashes. Not very often, but occasionally, I've had to re-install the OS when I just added ram. My guess is something counted the ram and doesn't want to run right when you add in more.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast