Thread: Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

Platinum Member

Re: Leaking Kraken AIO Cooler - RMA Journey

Try lowering the frequency to 2133mhz

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Try lowering the frequency to 2133mhz
    Yep, tried that. It boots to Windows 10 but isn't stable when I run BOINC or Prime95.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandia View Post
    Run the test again and try to boot with only 2 sticks in. If it crashes, swap the sticks out for the other pair. BTW......turning off the XMP was a good decision. Two of my computers support it.....both crash or won't boot with it on. Something about not syncing with the clock settings of my cpu. (even with no OC) Come to think about it, those are the culprits right down there at the bottom of my stuff. Also IF your wife's computer happens to be running 10, Set up a drive with a different OS and see if it still crashes. Not very often, but occasionally, I've had to re-install the OS when I just added ram. My guess is something counted the ram and doesn't want to run right when you add in more.
    Tried all sticks separately and in pairs. Everything works fine in pairs with XMP, nothing works when four sticks are installed. I've tried 3 different kits. The set I'm using now (2x8gb) runs fine at DDR4 3200 with the CPU OC'd, so the board is capable of handling the higher clock speeds. I might try your Windows 10 trick... but unfortunately after a lot of trial & error I'm not too hopeful.

Silver Member

I have two guesses, it's a gigabyte -UDX board, they've always had problems. I want to say my buddy had a gigabyte socket 1366 -udx board and he had problems with triple channel and I believe he went through a lot of the steps you've mentioned but ultimately had to bump the voltage on the ram. I think motherboard manufacturers skimp where they can especially on desktop boards. They'll put all these features on them but don't deliver quality components or enough of them to support all the features. The personal reviews on newegg and amazon are pretty scary.

Platinum Member

Bumping the voltage might do it but don't go above 1.35v. Problem is since your RAM is already clocked so high, it might already be at 1.35v

Silver Member

Bumping the voltage might do it but don't go above 1.35v. Problem is since your RAM is already clocked so high, it might already be at 1.35v
    A while back (i think ddr3 1866 days) samsung sold an almost generic ram line with this "green low power" tag on it. I can't remember but they ran around 1 to 1.2v out of the box, someone later figured out they were exceptional overclockers and they all went out of stock. Anyways maybe there's newer kits out there that are designed to run at a lower voltage and will play well with a fully loaded board. I wonder if the DIMM density matters; I understand they're both running the same voltage but maybe during high loads or startup the higher current would drop voltage too low to register/populate.

Platinum Member

4 sticks does thin out the voltage, but this usually isn't a noticeable issue. I've never used super high clocked RAM before for various reasons, but i think i can see why it would have issues if 2 kits of 2 were being used to arrive at the 4 sticks - the programmed XMP settings could be wrong since they were designed for a pair, not 4. Usually not an issue, but i can see how not only voltages but also timings would become very touchy at 3200mhz.

Or maybe there's simply a bad RAM slot?

Gold Member

4 sticks does thin out the voltage, but this usually isn't a noticeable issue. I've never used super high clocked RAM before for various reasons, but i think i can see why it would have issues if 2 kits of 2 were being used to arrive at the 4 sticks - the programmed XMP settings could be wrong since they were designed for a pair, not 4. Usually not an issue, but i can see how not only voltages but also timings would become very touchy at 3200mhz.

I think it's the motherboard. It runs DDR4 3200 fine if it's two sticks (automatically at 1.3v), but won't run 4 sticks at stock clocks. The 4-stick 2400 kit I had was rated at 1.2V which is great for lower heat and power usage, but wouldn't run stably. I suppose I could increase the voltage, but both manufacturers claim the kit should work with XMP enabled at 1.2V. I RMAd the 4-stick kit and the replacement had the same problem. I don't think it's a bad slot, either, because I can run that 2-stick 3200 kit in either pair of slots and it runs fine.

I just got unlucky with a budget motherboard that doesn't like 4 sticks of RAM. I don't really feel like RMA'ing the mobo, but it's on the table at this point. I submitted a support request to Gigabyte, we'll see what they say.

Silver Member

I got a little lost in the RAM configs FourOh has tried, FourOh are you using a 4 stick kit now? IMO if its on the QVL and it's not working to a point you're confident they could reproduce the results you're getting I would RMA it. In the land I wished I lived in when a mobo specs say they can run ddr4 in 4 channel any legit ram than meets those specs should work, and when I got to a point where I had to buy more ram thats on the QVL to see if a feature actually works, and it's doesn't, RMA. Sadly this thread has actually made me less a fan of Gigabyte and more a fan of NZXT. Im confident nzxt doesn't make their own products, I'll have to look up who the pump and rad manufacturers really are, but their customer service sounds better than most PC hardware mfgs.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 03-06-16 at 03:30 AM.

Platinum Member

I have had issues with G.Skill memory before though. 2 sticks would always work. 4 would work at first until i added or removed a GPU. I would get BSODs every time i made it to the Win7 screen where the Windows logo shows right at startup...that is if i made it to Windows at all. Then i would rotate which slots they (the RAM) were in and they would work again until i added or removed a GPU again. Never figured out why. This was on a very high-end MSI board. Switched to Patriot brand RAM and never had another issue.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-06-16 at 05:11 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    I got a little lost in the RAM configs FourOh has tried, FourOh are you using a 4 stick kit now? IMO if its on the QVL and it's not working to a point you're confident they could reproduce the results you're getting I would RMA it. In the land I wished I lived in when a mobo specs say they can run ddr4 in 4 channel any legit ram than meets those specs should work, and when I got to a point where I had to buy more ram thats on the QVL to see if a feature actually works, and it's doesn't, RMA. Sadly this thread has actually made me less a fan of Gigabyte and more a fan of NZXT. Im confident nzxt doesn't make their own products, I'll have to look up who the pump and rad manufacturers really are, but their customer service sounds better than most PC hardware mfgs.
    Yes, it is a little confusing. Here is the timeline:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3P
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k

1st RAM kit: 2x8gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3200 F4-3200C16D-16GVK (not on QVL)
    This kit works fine with XMP profile enabled.
    2nd RAM kit: another 2x8gb as above
    Adding a 2nd 2x8gb DDR4 3200 kit caused problems. System won't boot with XMP enabled and is unstable at 2133mhz
    3rd RAM kit: 4x8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR 2400 F4-2400C15Q-32GRK (on the QVL list and recommended by G.Skill)
    This kit again did not work with XMP enabled and is unstable at 2133mhz
    4th RAM kit: RMA'd the 3rd kit, replacement set has same issues

Currently back to using the 1st kit, 2x8gb with XMP enabled. RAM is running at DDR4 3200 no problem.

As far as the RMA process, yes NZXT did a good job of keeping me informed and "making me whole," even if it did take a little longer than expected. G.Skill replaced my RAM (which may not have been defective at all) in less than a week. I'm into the 2nd week of the MSI 280x RMA, with no estimate of how long it will be before a replacement is shipped.

At this point with the RAM, I've spent more on return shipping and restocking fees than I'd like to think about. Hoping to have a workable solution soon...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast