Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cruncher; HP Pavillion DV6205US

New Cruncher; HP Pavillion DV6205US

Thanks to all the encouragement from the team I have received lately, I decided to go through my broken laptop drawer.

Inside I found an HP Pavillion DV6205US that has a 1.60 GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ Dual Core processor T2060.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3340160

Uprades:
    1) Replaced the 80Gb 5400RPM drive with the Transcend V Series TS32GSSD25S-M 32Gb SATA SSD hard drive that I took off my AMD 1090T box.
    2) Will replace T2060 with an Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 mobile CPU 1.83 GHz SL9U3 2M/667 from Ebay for about $40
    3) Install Windows XP Pro 32bit to minimize service usage and maximize crunching potential. I would use a 64bit OS but do not have anymore licenses right now.

Hope to have the new processor ready for our PrimeGrid challenge at the start of April.

Currently, I am having a problem removing the corrupt partition from the Transcend SSD. Windows XP Pro install failed to delete it. Trying a System Rescue CD ISO that I downloaded the other day on the laptop.

If you have any suggestions let me know!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Silver Member

Re: New Cruncher; HP Pavillion DV6205US

When I have an issue I put into another computer as a slave drive and format it.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Admin

Sweet!! Another one resurrected.

Past Administrator

Nice! That is exactly the stuff that might put us over the edge into first or second place next time! Great work!

Past Administrator

Cool! Its always nice to find useful tech buried in the pile.

If you are still having trouble with the bad partition try Gparted. Its a linux utility that you can boot from a USB thumb drive. A great utility to help get Gparted onto the thumb drive is the Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com. Another great option is Parted Magic. It is a full suite of useful utilities that includes Gparted and can also boot from a thumb drive.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Angry Re: New Cruncher; HP Pavillion DV6205US

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Cool! Its always nice to find useful tech buried in the pile.

If you are still having trouble with the bad partition try Gparted. Its a linux utility that you can boot from a USB thumb drive. A great utility to help get Gparted onto the thumb drive is the Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com. Another great option is Parted Magic. It is a full suite of useful utilities that includes Gparted and can also boot from a thumb drive.
    I keep getting the message "Unable to write to boot sector." for the SSD.

It's h@x0r3d.

Using a spare 250Gb 2.5" WD BEKT for now.

Of course the 250Gb drive is giving a C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM corruption error upon boot of Windows XP now as well on this laptop. Glad I have not spent a dime on real upgrades yet!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!

Did it! Windows XP Pro 32bit finally installed after I wiped out all the partitions on the 2.5" 250Gb 7200RPM WD BEKT SATA drive.

Now, I just have to get network access working and this puppy can BOINC!

Once BOINC is running, I will then order a used CPU from Ebay.

Platinum Member

Awesome! Congrats!

Here she is: http://androinc.net/show_host_detail.php?hostid=6212

Forgot to mention one thing... I did all this work using the external monitor port. The 15.6" LCD screen was shattered by the previous owner!

Will order the Intel T5600 processor today but wonder why I can't put a T5850 in this laptop?

I can't find an HP Pavillion DV6000 Intel series compatibility chart anywhere. Did find this but it does not show any 800FSB processors: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-HP/Pav...0_(Intel).html

Red face Re: New Cruncher; HP Pavillion DV6205US

Just completed the processor upgrade!

Used an Intel T7200 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo processor!

After ripping it into over 12 pieces, I was able to get it all back together and crunching.

Here is the computer's detail, hope it will help out with our PrimeGrid challenge in April.
    http://androinc.net/show_host_detail.php?hostid=6212

FYI, SuperPi 1Million Bench Results:
    Intel T2060 - 52 seconds
    Intel T7200 - 24 seconds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast