Thread: quad xfire

Gold Member

quad xfire

so one of my mining buddies has a bunch of 280x's for sale , i know i recently said i didnt want to buy a new mobo for my system but at the price i can get the 280x's for im considering it
    that and ive never had a quad xfire system

what amd mobo would be good for this current cpu is an fx8320 , but i would like a mobo capable of running an fx9xxx in the future

Gold Member

Re: quad xfire

Plenty of AM3+ motherboards that support 3-way, but I think these are the only two that support 4-way GPUS:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...990FXGEN3_R20/
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3880#ov

Good luck finding one... ebay maybe? Or post a WTB on reddit's hardwareswap or overclock.net marketplace. Would be a killer GPU cruncher/room heater!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by FourOh View Post
    Plenty of AM3+ motherboards that support 3-way, but I think these are the only two that support 4-way GPUS:
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...990FXGEN3_R20/
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3880#ov

Good luck finding one... ebay maybe? Or post a WTB on reddit's hardwareswap or overclock.net marketplace. Would be a killer GPU cruncher/room heater!
    That's unfortunate, I just sold my Sabertooth. In theory, you could do a quad, but you'll need a x16 entender for the bottom slot as its too close to the bottom of the board to be useful otherwise. I ran 4x570s like that (with the extender) for a while and it does make a good heater.

Gold Member

im going to look for a Sabertooth the performance of xfire on this gigabyte mobo i have now was very disappointing , so bad i actually pulled one of the 280x's and put it up for sale , ive decided to keep it for now though , even if i cant use it for xfire i can still crunch with it on my current mobo

edit newegg.com has the sabertooth for 179$

Silver Member

Those cards are going to be crazy hot unless they're liquid cooled.

Besides the heat you've got two limiting factors, physical connections and pcie lanes the chipset supports. z77 has only 8 lanes, not a good choice. 990fx has like 38 and x79 x99 have 40.

If i recall the tahitis are 250w cards, and can go north of 85c. You're going to need at least a 1200w PSU. I think it would be cheaper to put them into 2,3, or even 4 different rigs. Also I believe a lot of motherboards like extra juice when running extra gpus so make sure you use one with the extra pcie power. And again, if they are nearly touching eachother they'll be temp restricted under heavy loads.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 02-17-16 at 04:32 PM.

Gold Member

Bid of $81 on eBay or ar buy it now starting at $125.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Those cards are going to be crazy hot unless they're liquid cooled.

Besides the heat you've got two limiting factors, physical connections and pcie lanes the chipset supports. z77 has only 8 lanes, not a good choice. 990fx has like 38 and x79 x99 have 40.

If i recall the tahitis are 250w cards, and can go north of 85c. You're going to need at least a 1200w PSU. I think it would be cheaper to put them into 2,3, or even 4 different rigs. Also I believe a lot of motherboards like extra juice when running extra gpus so make sure you use one with the extra pcie power. And again, if they are nearly touching eachother they'll be temp restricted under heavy loads.
    ive got a g2 1300w psu , deffinatly going to do watercooling as well this is for my gaming rig which already has a custom loop

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    Bid of $81 on eBay or ar buy it now starting at $125.
    ?????