Thread: GPU idle power consumption

Diamond Member

GPU idle power consumption

I achieved all my GPU goals, for the most part. There are are still a few projects/apps with intermittent work, where I still will want to crunch more. So I don't want to get rid of the GPUs, but I also don't want them spending my cash while sitting idle. Power is crazy expensive here in CA.

Specifically, I am talking about a TITAN in once machine and 3x 7970s in the other machine. Some of the charts I am looking at say these cards consume at idle about 80w for the titan and 110w for the AMD. But these figures are for total system. How much do the individual cards actually consume?

Here i my thought: I remove these beasts and replace them with "canaries". Power-sipping GPU cards that can crunch, so I will know when work is available, and drive a monitor of course. And then I can swap back in the big boys when needed (also for team challenges).

My questions:

1) I need power consumption numbers for the GPUs to do the math to know if this makes sense. Opinions also welcome.

2) I need an nVidia and an AMD card that will crunch, and are cheap, and will sip power.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Re: GPU idle power consumption

750ti for nvidia IMO. They can run anything an nvidia card can run, use very low power, usually doesn't need a PCIE power cable(s). Not sure which about AMD but I found some lists that might help you decide.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...Fury_X/29.html Has good charts

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3750-21.html more charts

Platinum Member

Idle power on the Titan is just 10W and 17W on the 7970 unless you have liquid cooled versions of those cards, then the idle power of those GPUs is less than 10W/17W since no cooling fans, but the wattage used by the pump would push it over 10W/17W.

Assuming air cooled versions, the Titan would need to sit idle for 100 hours to consume 1 kWh. 58.8 hours for the 7970.

In the winter, running the GPUs is free if you have electric heat or greatly discounted if you have gas heat.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-16-16 at 03:12 AM.

Past Admin
    They seek me here, they seek me there, they seek me everywhe, currently Down Under.

Again, MindCrime, I appreciate you research into this. One of my main problems is the cost of power and I am at my ultimate limit and am in the process of cutting back.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Idle power on the Titan is just 10W and 17W on the 7970 unless you have liquid cooled versions of those cards, then the idle power of those GPUs is less than 10W/17W since no cooling fans, but the wattage used by the pump would push it over 10W/17W.

Assuming air cooled versions, the Titan would need to sit idle for 100 hours to consume 1 kWh. 58.8 hours for the 7970.

In the winter, running the GPUs is free if you have electric heat or greatly discounted if you have gas heat.
    Ah. Maybe my plan doesn't make sense after all. I will just remove the two 7970s from the machine with three, I think. Thanks!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne