Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD driver update good and bad.

Silver Member

AMD driver update good and bad.

A week or so ago when I was fiddling with collatz on a 270x I went and updated the driver to "AMD Vulkan Radeon Software Beta Feb25" which windows says is 15.301.1901.0 dated 2/26/2016

This driver seemed to be a great update for the 270x. COllatz CPu usage was way down and as far as I could tell the run times were the same. Yesterday I updated a 7970 to the same thing, it's running off site so I can't tinker at the moment. After checking on its milkyway results I noticed run times are nearly double, if not more. Unless I can figure out something else causing this problem I'll be going back to whatever the previous driver was the next time I've over there.

Keep an eye out if you do update your amd drivers, and if you do update and have some observations please share em in here.

Past Admin
    They seek me here, they seek me there, they seek me everywhe, currently Down Under.

Re: AMD driver update good and bad.

Thanks MindsCrime. Your observations have been very valuable and appreciated..

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    Thanks MindsCrime. Your observations have been very valuable and appreciated..
    Ditto

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

What is the recommended version of CCC for running HD 7970 on Win7 64 system?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by scole of TSBT View Post
    I can't speak for the others but my 7970 runs with on issues on version 14.9. I cannot use anything more current as I refuse to install Win7 SP1.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I can't speak for the others but my 7970 runs with on issues on version 14.9. I cannot use anything more current as I refuse to install Win7 SP1.
    Agree with F$ - 14.9 works well for 7970, with or without SP1

APP SDK v2.9.1 goes with 14.9 - it's required for MilkyWay and I think it makes Einstein run better, but don't quote me on that.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Any issues with 14.4?

Silver Member

Any issues with 14.4?
    running 15-7, no problems on a 7970 or a 7870. that new Ati Catalist sucks big wang, had all kinds of problems, so I stick to 15-7.

Past Admin
    They seek me here, they seek me there, they seek me everywhe, currently Down Under.

Quote Originally Posted by dcushing View Post
    running 15-7, no problems on a 7970 or a 7870. that new Ati Catalist sucks big wang, had all kinds of problems, so I stick to 15-7.
    All of my AMD GPU's are now either 7970, R280 and R290 running the latest drivers. Sine I only use them for BOINC, may I ask what kind of problems you guys are experiancing and should I revert to 15-7 for BOINC use only? Running Win7 Ultimate with all updates.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    All of my AMD GPU's are now either 7970, R280 and R290 running the latest drivers. Sine I only use them for BOINC, may I ask what kind of problems you guys are experiancing and should I revert to 15-7 for BOINC use only? Running Win7 Ultimate with all updates.
    Running win 7 ultimate here also.
    I just dont like the new interface from ati.
    At least on 15-7, you have the overclock stuff, on the newer catalyst, its gone, or I could never find it. and I searched hi and low b4 going back to 15-7 again.
    Me thinks the new catalyst is made for win10, with all the icon and click crap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast