Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The inevitable introduction.

Coaltar

Re: The inevitable introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    GPUs are a good thing just joking.
    Oh, and since I first posted I decided to let two of my machines do GPU work that are capable. I typically don't like these two running GPU work. One is my desktop, it has an on-board nvidia 8100/8200/8300 series. It's old and doesn't crunch very fast, but it's something I guess. When I've crunched with it in the past after a while, Windows started to get wonky. That was some time ago though and now with up-to-date drivers and what not I thought I'd give it a go.

As for the other, it's my main computer; a laptop. It's the gaming-spec laptop and has two GPUs. One is the "on-board" Intel 4600 and the other is a Nvidia GeForce GT 750M with 1GB dedicated memory. This one crunches pretty nicely. Reason I don't typically like to let it crunch is heat, and because I do occasionally game on this system. But lately my gaming habits have been pretty mild so I'm letting it crunch in the background. The system uses the Intel GPU for everything except when you run something graphically intensive via DirectX/OpenGL/etc so it's great it doesn't affect Windows performance or other normal apps at all. I've been keeping an eye on it and it's not generating too much more heat than just the CPU alone, temps are far into the safe range. I've noticed with nvidia inspector it isn't even hitting full load, hanging out at around the 70% area. So, so far so good. If I do need that GPU for other purposes it's simple enough to just suspend it. The Intel GPU is capable of crunching also but I'd rather not. I have let it in the past but I don't want it sucking up more system resources and generating more heat.

Silver Member

Coaltar, I started out on SETI@HOME years ago... I think it was on a 486 or an early Pentium... then I got into World Community Grid for a bit... Now I crunch a few different things... some of it is team related and others just sound interesting. As you can see from my sig, I don't do huge numbers, but I keep plugging way!

If it's not broken, give me 5 more minutes!

Gold Member

welcome aboard coaltar good to see you here
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Gold Member

There's one step missing, we don't see the SUSA logo near Coaltar's name. He won't be able to post in team-only topics until that's there.

Gold Member

Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coaltar View Post
    Oh, and since I first posted I decided to let two of my machines do GPU work that are capable. I typically don't like these two running GPU work. One is my desktop, it has an on-board nvidia 8100/8200/8300 series. It's old and doesn't crunch very fast, but it's something I guess. When I've crunched with it in the past after a while, Windows started to get wonky. That was some time ago though and now with up-to-date drivers and what not I thought I'd give it a go.

As for the other, it's my main computer; a laptop. It's the gaming-spec laptop and has two GPUs. One is the "on-board" Intel 4600 and the other is a Nvidia GeForce GT 750M with 1GB dedicated memory. This one crunches pretty nicely. Reason I don't typically like to let it crunch is heat, and because I do occasionally game on this system. But lately my gaming habits have been pretty mild so I'm letting it crunch in the background. The system uses the Intel GPU for everything except when you run something graphically intensive via DirectX/OpenGL/etc so it's great it doesn't affect Windows performance or other normal apps at all. I've been keeping an eye on it and it's not generating too much more heat than just the CPU alone, temps are far into the safe range. I've noticed with nvidia inspector it isn't even hitting full load, hanging out at around the 70% area. So, so far so good. If I do need that GPU for other purposes it's simple enough to just suspend it. The Intel GPU is capable of crunching also but I'd rather not. I have let it in the past but I don't want it sucking up more system resources and generating more heat.
    You're the man, I just love the smell of hot GPU's

Coaltar

Quote Originally Posted by cineon_lut View Post
    There's one step missing, we don't see the SUSA logo near Coaltar's name. He won't be able to post in team-only topics until that's there.
    All taken care of.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coaltar View Post
    All taken care of.
    Welcome to SETI.USA sir!

Silver Member

Ill send U a couple of nvidia 460 Gpu's in May, that should keep U busy for awhile!

<--- Creo Cat, I mess with his mind... alot!

Coaltar

Quote Originally Posted by dcushing View Post
    Ill send U a couple of nvidia 460 Gpu's in May, that should keep U busy for awhile!
    I look forward to it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast