Thread: BoincTasks Problem

Administrator

BoincTasks Problem

Any BT gurus have any idea on what is causing this problem? I run BTs on my personal computer to monitor and adjust all my computers and it has worked great up until the last week or so. I can do most everything I need, except detach from a project, reset a project or abort a wu. If I do any of those 3 the command will not be issued and it locks BTs up solid. I have to use Task Manager to shut it down and then restart. It works fine after the restart until I forget and try to do any of those 3 things. It's quite aggravating. It is the latest version (not the beta) and I've had it installed for months. Win 7 OS. I really haven't changed a thing prior to this happening, but something obviously changed. Any ideas?

Administrator

Re: BoincTasks Problem

Is when you try to do that on a Windows machine, Linux, or either one?

Silver Member

Install any Win7 updates in the last week?

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Administrator

When I do them on any os and I have not updated win 7 in months.

Silver Member

OK. Always here of windoze updates borking stuff.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    OK. Always here of windoze updates borking stuff.
    Nope, not an update. It's strange...try to abort a task and the next time you click anywhere on a BTS screen you get a Windows error ding.

Silver Member

Could your BT install have somehow been corrupted. Maybe an remove/reinstall might fix it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Could your BT install have somehow been corrupted. Maybe an remove/reinstall might fix it.
    Well, I did do a reinstall while still having it installed, thinking it might fix any corrupted files...it didnt. I was actually trying to avoid resetting/reattaching everything, but it might come to that anyway.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    Any BT gurus have any idea on what is causing this problem? I run BTs on my personal computer to monitor and adjust all my computers and it has worked great up until the last week or so. I can do most everything I need, except detach from a project, reset a project or abort a wu. If I do any of those 3 the command will not be issued and it locks BTs up solid. I have to use Task Manager to shut it down and then restart. It works fine after the restart until I forget and try to do any of those 3 things. It's quite aggravating. It is the latest version (not the beta) and I've had it installed for months. Win 7 OS. I really haven't changed a thing prior to this happening, but something obviously changed. Any ideas?
    After 2 years I finally got this fixed with Fred's help at eFMer. The solution:

Close BoincTasks
    Start regedit
    and go here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\eFMer\BoincTas ks\window_position
    Now delete all keys starting with Yes_no
    Restart BoincTasks.

Administrator

I copied and saved this to my fixes folder.

I missed the post initially since I was using BOINC Manager instead of BT at the time.

After I started using BT on each machine, one of my three had the freeze problem that hit me every time I forgot and tried to abort a WU.

I have since reset that computer from scratch for other reasons, but it looks like this would have fixed my issue also.

I have now graduated to controlling all my machines (3) from one instance of BT.

Thanks for sharing the info.
    I'll keep it incase it pops up again.