Thread: Credit Screw 2

Administrator

Credit Screw 2

So the GridCoin folks are wanting a new version of Credit Screw to help eliminate cheating and make credits compatible across projects

HERE

Diamond Member

Re: Credit Screw 2

Hah! That's hilarious.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Even funnier to realize that any change would require updating server side code. I'm doubtful any existing project will be all gung ho about that. Just look at Rosetta. Much less those like CSG, WCG, Ibercivis, Einstein, Burp or any of the others that heavily customized the server side.

Administrator

I like the last post where he says that he thought it best to bring it up as a "BOINC" problem rather than just start taking projects where people cheat off of their whitelist. Like I GAS whether they shorten their list of approved projects.

Personally if they are so worried about it then they should add the benchmark and do their own credit keeping as part of the mining SW they put on peoples machines.

Silver Member

Hahahahaha/ "pucker up buttercup." That's a good one. And they are exactly right. As a contractor I know, they are exactly right. Anyone who has contracted for a job knows.......yeah, they fucked up. I hope a few of them get at least 20 years and a few hundred thousand to pay out. About time someone did something about them. Sad to say, cryptocurreny is taxable and giving it out makes it payment.

This is what Gridcoin was reported under according with the one.....https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-...e-Transactions and had at least two follow up conversations with them. One was to give them detailed info and Gridcoin's white list. if one is unsure of the tax laws, all one needs to do is have faith. As long as every member of team Gridcoin didn't file a 1099 with the team before given a reward, they are in deep doodoo for every count of and for the payment itself going back to day 1. The IRS doesn't have a sense of humor. And how does anyone make through puberty without knowing.....everyone runs from the taxman? You win a car? You must file tax paperwork. You win a house, a boat, the lottery, a game show.....you must fill out tax paperwork.You are given a taxable currency as a reward...YOU MUST FILE TAX PAPERWORK. No exemptions there even with a non-profit. They abused what they had. Now, it's over.

Now then......how we gonna take down P3DN in the P. I'm still short of gear so my input will be little to nothing.
    Last edited by Shandia; 05-08-16 at 09:34 PM.

Diamond Member

Nice history here:

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum...id=69552#69552

Which ends with a burn:

After the NSF funding ceased, BOINC set up an ideal structure for this: the Project Management Committee. But it was given absurd terms of reference - looking downwards and inwards towards micro-code, instead of outwards and upwards to the needs of the scientific community. I think it should seize the strategic role instead, and as a first step remove David Anderson from the role of chairperson. David may have been a brilliant experimentalist, but mature, robust, infrastructure needs different skills, and the committee chair needs to be someone who can manage them.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Interesting thread over at Seti@Home talking about CreditScrew as well.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...=79418#1778812

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Interesting thread over at Seti@Home talking about CreditScrew as well.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...=79418#1778812
    CreditScrew is making WCG look pretty good right now.

Administrator

Wow, I just spent an hour reading multiple links about the CreditNew... I had to laugh when I read the part that David Anderson said that it isn't broken so he has no intention of fixing it. Spoken like a true government employee. Then a thought had occurred to me... considering we are volunteers and are suppose to be doing this for the advancement of science and human knowledge, I would imagine that some in the science community probably think that giving out credit at all is a ridiculous notion.

I know I started it for the science but now I'm just a credit... well you know the rest.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up