Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teamviewer hacked?

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Administrator

Re: Teamviewer hacked?

I've not had any issue except the one time yesterday when I couldn't log on with my phone. Out of all my computers, only one has any sensitive info and TV is easy enough to shut off on that one and only turn on when I need it. That said, where there is smoke there is generally fire, so it bears watching.

Platinum Member

And the first two links you posted above seem to have been redacted. Possibly as a result of this story...

http://themerkle.com/teamviewer-cens...-stolen-funds/

Platinum Member

Administrator

I followed the link on that site and checked my email address. It said I was pwned with the following:

Linux Mint: In February 2016, the website for the Linux distro known as Linux Mint was hacked and the ISO infected with a backdoor. The site also ran a phpBB forum which was subsequently put up for sale complete with almost 145k email addresses, passwords and other personal subscriber information.

Compromised data: Avatars, Dates of birth, Email addresses, Geographic locations, IP addresses, Passwords, Time zones, Website activity

Silver Member

Here is what it said for mine.

Boxee: In March 2014, the home theatre PC software maker Boxee had their forums compromised in an attack. The attackers obtained the entire vBulletin MySQL database and promptly posted it for download on the Boxee forum itself. The data included 160k users, password histories, private messages and a variety of other data exposed across nearly 200 publicly exposed tables.

Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Geographic locations, Historical passwords, Instant messenger identities, IP addresses, Passwords, Private messages, User website URLs, Usernames Not a concern since I haven't ever used their service or been to their site in years

Linux Mint: In February 2016, the website for the Linux distro known as Linux Mint was hacked and the ISO infected with a backdoor. The site also ran a phpBB forum which was subsequently put up for sale complete with almost 145k email addresses, passwords and other personal subscriber information.

Compromised data: Avatars, Dates of birth, Email addresses, Geographic locations, IP addresses, Passwords, Time zones, Website activity Rarely go to this site and haven't been there this year

I'm really not concerned about any of this because they won't get crap from my throw away email addy with a stand alone p/w. I never use that p/w anywhere else except forums. (like here) To me this looks more like scare tactics used to get people to subscribe. Notice the highlighted below.

Pwned on 2 breached sites and found no pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches)

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Great, TeamViewer now limiting connection times to 5 minutes and locks you out for a period of time after that.

Gold Member

Are there any good options to TV? I always use it and 5 minutes just isn't long enough to try to help the kids and grandkids when they have problems.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Administrator

@Scole - no problem here, I can tie in and it stays logged in for an hour or so.

Have you been getting a little nasty pop when you close to the effect "It appears you are using this in a commerical application" or something to that effect?

Last year when I did the dual boot on the crunchers I was doing a lot of stuff from this laptop since most machines are headless. I started getting that pop up for a while and I just ignored it. After a few days it started doing exactly what you are saying. I could login for a max of 5 minutes and then it would lock me out for a while.

You have to contact their customer support - either call or email. I called and they said to give them a discription of what I was doing and also send 2 TV log files to a email address they gave me. I wrote a discription of BOINC, gave them a link to my stats, and the log files. A couple of days later I got a email from their support folks saying they had changed the status of my account back to "personal".

Administrator

Here's what I got on both my most used email addresses.

Good news — no pwnage found!

I'm not sure that makes me feel any more secure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast