Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would this new 150W AMD GPU compare?

Past Administrator

How would this new 150W AMD GPU compare?

Looks like I'll be in the market for at least one new GPU. Needs to be an efficient one though. As good as this GTX 980 or better.

Just saw this on Anandtech the other day. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10389/...e-29th-for-199
    For right at $200, how do you think that compares to the NVidia offerings, etc? I like the 150W TDP.

Silver Member

Re: How would this new 150W AMD GPU compare?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Looks like I'll be in the market for at least one new GPU. Needs to be an efficient one though. As good as this GTX 980 or better.

Just saw this on Anandtech the other day. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10389/...e-29th-for-199
    For right at $200, how do you think that compares to the NVidia offerings, etc? I like the 150W TDP.
    Specs look good and so does the price. I shopped around for 1070s cuz I have better luck with video drivers on Nvidia GPUs running on Linux but the current prices are just stupid IMHO so I'm waiting. I would be tempted if I could get AMD drivers to work on Linux.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    ...I would be tempted if I could get AMD drivers to work on Linux.
    Didn't you blow part of a bunker the last time you tried that...good luck!

Platinum Member

The $200 AMD GPU (RX 480 4GB) has about 5.8 TFLOPS of FP32 compute while the GTX 980 only has 4.6. No idea what FP64 will be yet, but going by AMD's track record it should blow Nvidia out of the water as usual. There will also be an 8GB version of the RX 480 for about $229, but isn't really needed for crunching.

Edit: Forgot to mention that testing has shown the RX 480 only actually uses ~100W while gaming, so a bit less than that for crunching.

Platinum Member

/me looks for where the line is forming for the RX 480's release on June 29th.

I haven't really had problems recently with either AMD or nVidia drivers on Ubuntu...

Past Administrator

So does NV have anything new to compete, or should I get in line for this puppy? I'm very happy with my GTX 980 credits per watt (and noise - as in none), but for this price...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    So does NV have anything new to compete, or should I get in line for this puppy? I'm very happy with my GTX 980 credits per watt (and noise - as in none), but for this price...
    In that price range? Nope. You could wait a few months for the 1060 to come out, but since the low 1070 price is $379, i doubt the 1060 will be $199. RX480 will likely be faster than the 1060 anyway, unless NV is scrambling right now to change the 1060's specs so they can compete.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    /me looks for where the line is forming for the RX 480's release on June 29th.

I haven't really had problems recently with either AMD or nVidia drivers on Ubuntu...
    What's you secret with AMD? Wonder if they're gonna price gouge like what's going on with the 1080/1070.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphynx View Post
    Didn't you blow part of a bunker the last time you tried that...good luck!
    Yea because it never dawned on me that Linux would not keep the blocked IP addys blocked after a reboot. Lesson learned.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Past Administrator

Sounds like this one might be a winner for credits/watt then. I'll try to get one in two days when they release if that's really the price. I guess you never know what they are going to do until they do it though.

Past Administrator

Shoot. I checked at midnight hoping to get a jump on it. All of them "out of stock". I checked again at 1AM, same thing. Then I went to bed and checked when I got up. All the XFX and anything decent are sold out. Naturally Only thing left is a Powercolor brand. Huh.

So what brand GPUs are worth it to buy these days? I was thinking either EVGA (but that's NVidia only right?), XFX, ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI. Not sure I want to try any other brands for 24/7 crunching. Anyone able to shed some light on that list of acceptable manufacturers so I can keep an eye out for one when it's in stock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast