Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card advice

Advisor - Stateside Division

Video Card advice

I'm looking for a 3 monitor setup, so need a card that can support 3x27" monitors all at 1920x1080. I guess I'll also need cables to convert if there isn't one with 3xHDMI.

I currently have an XFX Radeon R9-280 and it has a DVI-D, DVI-I, 1 HDMI and I think 2xmini display port.

I have 2 monitors hooked up to the two DVI ports, can I output to a 3rd on the HDMI or the mini display port? Or is it one of those OR the DVI on the same row? I'm not really sure.

If I can't, does anyone have a recommendation for a card that will allow output to 3 monitors?

*EDIT* - I think this is my current card or at least very similar - here

Past Administrator

Re: Video Card advice

You can definitely run 3 monitors on almost any modern GPU like that. Does your monitor have HDMI input only? Can use a very inxepensive HDMI cable, or a bit more $ for a display port to HDMI cable if you want.

Platinum Member

Well, right on that page you linked the Overview says "Supports up to 6 displays" so I'd guess that means you have everything you need. Except for maybe the manual telling you how to connect those 6 displays.

Well, I've tried and failed. Have all 3 connected but only two of the 3 ever show anything. If I unplug one that is showing, then the inactive one comes on.

Tried, 2 on the DVI ports and the other on HDMI
    2 on the DVI ports and the other on miniDisplayPort with adapter to HDMI
    1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 miniDisplayPort
    1 DVI, 2 miniDisplayPort

Something to do with using the minDisplayPort adaptors rather than native miniDP to HDMI direct? (I've just ordered a couple of these cables)

Read a few things which people reporting similar with windows 10 but others have it working

Past Administrator

Huh, that is a little strange. I wonder if something different needs to be set either in Win10 itself or in the Radeon drivers. I can't see why it would matter about the cables, but maybe there is a special way to do it with more than 2. Shoot, a single display port connection alone should be able to drive 3 monitors just off that one port.

Silver Member

have you looked in crappy "catalyst"?

HF

Past Administrator

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...x-working.html

If you scroll through that one a bit, you can see a guy posted some screen shots of his driver config setup. Not sure if it helps or not, but looks like after a lot of fiddling they got Windows to use all 3 screens.

Administrator

The new R9-280X (and 270X) allow the use of Eyefinity without the need for a DisplayPort adapter... output configuration permitting. So in the case of the reference configuration of Dual DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort we can use 2xDVI and HDMI for Eyefinity. There is one caveat on the cards we have tested, the screens and system must be off when connected. Hot plugging displays will not enable Eyefinity without DisplayPort in Windows.

Tried almost all of that without success.

So, let's say I can't get it to work, recommendations for a new card which would? I don't really care whether it's nvdia or radeon.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Have you opened CCC, gone to Desktop Management and fiddled with those settings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast