Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual hexcore Z600's

Gold Member

Re: Dual hexcore Z600's

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I went digging around on google for images of the guts of both. I have to say, the layout of the Z600 looks less cramped.

Can either of these actually fit the length of a modern GPU? And power connectors?
    At one time I had a BIG HD 7950 and a 7790 in a Dell 5500 case. The PSU has plenty of overhead, you just have to use SATA to PCIex power adapters. I don't recommend pairing a big GPU in these cases, but I have a 960 + 750Ti that runs fine even in a non-air conditioned space. My other T5500 has a reference 7970... runs just fine.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I went digging around on google for images of the guts of both. I have to say, the layout of the Z600 looks less cramped.

Can either of these actually fit the length of a modern GPU? And power connectors?
    Sounds like zombie67 is looking for an itch to scratch.

Advisor - Stateside Division

My z600 arrived yesterday. I must say I was a little surprised by the size of the case, it's quite a bit smaller than the T7500 or T5500. I switched on hyperthreading, installed BOINC and let it go. It shut down after about 30mins. Looked in to the BIOS to see if there was any settings on temps but couldn't find anything.

Opened the side of the case and tried again, same thing. Set BOINC to use only 50% of processors, still shuts down. When I came back to it, I had to hit the power switch but it's immediately at a windows lock screen. I just click the lock and it's back in immediately - maybe it's just the power settings in windows, I'll take a look this morning.

Can't say I'm too impressed so far. There is and idle fan setting in the BIOS, should I push that up higher?

Anything else I can do before having to quite and replace the HS/Fans? (Which I hate having to do).

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

If it's running WIndows, check the Power Options. It may be running Power Saver mode. If so, that's it. Set it to High Performance

If that's not it, run a monitor to show what the core temps are while BOINC is running. See what core temps and power use are. BTW, I do have the case fans set to like 75% in the BIOS and the case cover must be on to get proper air flow.

yeah, I just hooked a monitor up again and it was set for power saving, so I switched that to high performance. I'll see how it runs today. I'll probably switch it to linux at some point anyway.

It's certainly a little bit louder than my T7500 which I can barely hear even under load.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    yeah, I just hooked a monitor up again and it was set for power saving, so I switched that to high performance. I'll see how it runs today. I'll probably switch it to linux at some point anyway.

It's certainly a little bit louder than my T7500 which I can barely hear even under load.
    Did it work? Or is there really a HW problem?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Nope, it seems like that was all it was. Just a basic error. Been running at 100% for last 24 hrs.

Still think i prefer the T7500 for the quietness and more room for RAM ( up to 192Gb )!

Diamond Member

Thanks. How much bigger than the 5500 is the 7500? Is it significant? Any more room inside for GPUs (length-wise)?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

yeah, the T7500 is quite a bit bigger. Take a look here

The T5500 is equivalent to the Z600 I think.

Silver Member

I have a t7500, I call it the "executor" from starwars, weights like 4000 pounds...

HF

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast