Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual hexcore Z600's

Advisor - Stateside Division

Dual hexcore Z600's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381584143388...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pretty good price on these. I picked up one yesterday to upgrade my MAME machine. Thinking about getting another to split off some stats tasks but can't quite justify that yet.

Administrator

Re: Dual hexcore Z600's

I have 2 Z600s. More room inside and the cooling solution is better than the T5500s. I like'em.. especially at that price.

Diamond Member

Tempting! The only downside is the memory is 6x4gb, which is only 1gb/thread. And it has only 6 slots, so the DIMMs would have to be replaced to increase the RAM. It looks like it needs PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 ECC, which costs about $100 on ebay for 6x8gb.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Well heck. I thought that was too good of deal. It was just a 2 CPU upgrade kit. Not a full system.

These CPU coolers work great for the CPU on the motherboard, better than the Z600. I need to see if they'll fit on the riser CPU and still keep a fan on riser RAM.
    Last edited by scole of TSBT; 07-05-16 at 07:44 PM.

Diamond Member

Not very familiar with the two chassis. What are the pros/cons of the Dell T5500 vs HP Z600?

Advisor - Stateside Division

I've got a T5500 and a T7500 - the 7500 has a 2xdual hexcore procs and 48Gb Ram. I like them as they are well put together and really very quiet under full load. I'm certainly hoping the HP one is similar.

here is a T7500 I was looking at also.

I just realized the ebay item I linked to was only a 2 CPU upgrade kit, not a complete system. Thought that price was too good to be true. Sorry.

BTW, I still have some RAM available for these systems. 9x 4GB DIMMS I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Not very familiar with the two chassis. What are the pros/cons of the Dell T5500 vs HP Z600?
    The Z600/Z800 have both CPUs mounted on the motherboard and each CPU uses the same type of CPU cooler, which is proprietary. Another heatsink may fit but the fan has a special plug and I'm not sure whether it will boot if it's not plugged in.

The T5500 has 1 CPU mounted on the motherboard and comes with a crummy aluminum heatsink. The one I linked to works much better. The 2nd CPU and RAM bank must be mounted on a special riser. The CPU cooling on the riser CPU has something to be desired. They seem to be selling a little cheaper than the Z600s though.

Diamond Member

I went digging around on google for images of the guts of both. I have to say, the layout of the Z600 looks less cramped.

Can either of these actually fit the length of a modern GPU? And power connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I went digging around on google for images of the guts of both. I have to say, the layout of the Z600 looks less cramped.

Can either of these actually fit the length of a modern GPU? And power connectors?
    I think the mobo for each model has two PCIe 2.0 16x speed slots but I'm not sure you you'll never fit two GPUs in them. Not sure what's the max length GPU that will fit. Best I recall, both systems have just one 6 pin PCIe power connector. I have a 750Ti w/6 pin PCIe power in a Z600 and 960 in a T3500 (same basic chassis as T5500) but I power both GPUs with a separate PSU to hopefully make the PSUs last as long as possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast