Thread: SETI@Home: "Baffling" "signal" "from HD 164595" is probably none of the above.

Diamond Member

SETI@Home: "Baffling" "signal" "from HD 164595" is probably none of the above.

I'm sure that many of you have seen the news reports of a "SETI signal" detected from the star HD 164595

I was one of the many people who received the the email with the subject "Candidate SETI SIGNAL DETECTED by Russians from star HD 164595 by virtue of RATAN-600 radio telescope." Since the email did come from known SETI researchers, I looked over the presentation. I was unimpressed. In one out of 39 scans that passed over star showed a signal at about 4.5 times the mean noise power with a profile somewhat like the beam profile. Of course SETI@home has seen millions of potential signals with similar characteristics, but it takes more than that to make a good candidate. Multiple detections are a minimum criterion.

Because the receivers used were making broad band measurements, there's really nothing about this "signal" that would distinguish it from a natural radio transient (stellar flare, active galactic nucleus, microlensing of a background source, etc.) There's also nothing that could distinguish it from a satellite passing through the telescope field of view. All in all, it's relatively uninteresting from a SETI standpoint.

But, of course, it's been announced to the media. Reporters won't have the background to know it's not interesting. Because the media has it, and since this business runs on media, everyone will look at it. ATA is looking at it. I assume Breakthrough will look at it. Someone will look at it with Arecibo, and we'll be along for the ride. And I'll check the SETI@home database around that position. And we'll all find nothing. It's not our first time at this rodeo, so we know how it works.

More...

Platinum Member

Re: SETI@Home: "Baffling" "signal" "from HD 164595" is probably none of the above.

*hipster snide voice*
    I was crunching SETI before SETI was cool

Diamond Member

Re: SETI@Home: "Baffling" "signal" "from HD 164595" is probably none of the above.

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

The Russian signal has been proven false today...

Russians said it was a Russian satelitte signal...

I bet they picked up a Glosnass signal. (Russian equivilant to the U.S. GPS system)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcushing View Post
    The Russian signal has been proven false today...

Russians said it was a Russian satelitte signal...

I bet they picked up a Glosnass signal. (Russian equivilant to the U.S. GPS system)
    Russians are so false they should have a stamp on the neck saying: "Made in China".

Very Crazy Duke.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever