Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need case recommendation

Diamond Member

Need case recommendation

I need a case for a new build. It needs to have a LONG life, covering multiple mobos. It needs to fit the longest of GPUs, and a lot of them, with room for potential growth in the future. While I don't think I will ever run 4 dual width GPUs, I want the option. And some slot flexibility would be nice. Also it should fit an over-sized multi-chip mobo. Size is not a concern. Air flow should be huge, but it would also be nice if the noise was not so huge. Price is not a big concern, but I don't want to spend money stupidly.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: Need case recommendation

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I need a case for a new build. It needs to have a LONG life, covering multiple mobos. It needs to fit the longest of GPUs, and a lot of them, with room for potential growth in the future. While I don't think I will ever run 4 dual width GPUs, I want the option. And some slot flexibility would be nice. Also it should fit an over-sized multi-chip mobo. Size is not a concern. Air flow should be huge, but it would also be nice if the noise was not so huge. Price is not a big concern, but I don't want to spend money stupidly.
    I remember JerWA recommending cases form Mountain Mods.

If you prefer something more traditional then a case that supports XL-ATX like the Cooler Master HAF-X or the Corsair Obsidian Series 700 or 800. Another really cool case is the Lian Li PC-X2000.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-053-_-Product

Or this one. I have a Thermaltake Black Shark full tower and I can fit 3 GTX 460 cards on a XFX 780i SLI ATX mb with room to spare. Front and rear fans and room for water cooling and an 1100 watt psu. I only run 1 vid card right now but I have had 3 in the case and they all fit and cooled.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I'm with Maxwell on this. The case fans are incredibly quiet, airflow is great, and you can fit any GPU in there you want. Could also stick EVGA's SR-2 mobo in there.

I have this case. And i have an HD 5870 in it with room to spare (also a 9500GT and a GTX460). The mountain mods cases can be configured to be roomier than this, however, they are also far more expensive.

Silver Member

I'm a big fan of Antec. I own a Antec 1200, Antec LanBoy and a Thermal take Armor+. The 1200 is the best value deal I've found. Big case, lots of fans. I compared it with the Thermal take and my GPU temps were 10 C lower in the Antec. The Thermal take wasn't venting hot air very well.

As for the LanBoy, it's very modular and easy to modify. Temps are comparable to the 1200, but the cost is much more.

Diamond Member

Thanks for the recommendations!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Shadow

I've got two Antec 1200's, and I swear by them. Great airflow and quiet. BUT, the
    HAF X 942 will be on the top of my list when it comes time for another one. Looks like they've got a tad bit more room and better cable management. The HAF also has more expansion slots than the Antec.

Past Administrator

I would get something with more than 7 expansion slots in the back. This is my only gripe about the HAF 932.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I would get something with more than 7 expansion slots in the back. This is my only gripe about the HAF 932.
    I've got the HAF 932, which is why I recommended the HAF-X...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast