Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPU Heat Issues

Silver Member

GPU Heat Issues

As some of you may know I recently got a new GTX 460 and installed it in Cassandra to go with my GTS 250. This configuration works great and all but there is one problem I have, heat. The system it's self isn't over heating and the GPUs are running at the nice and toasty temperature of 60C. The problem though is that this monster makes my room the hottest room in the house! Now over the winter with our freezing weather and all it wasn't really a problem but now that it's warmed up a bit it has. Here's an idea, yesterday it was 60F out and the house was 71F with the AC on. My room though was a killer 76F! My only solution has been to idle my 250 but it didn't seem to help much. What do you gu...
    *snaps in tears*
    I DON'T WANT TO SLEEP IN A SWEATY BED A SUMMER!
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Gold Member

Re: GPU Heat Issues

Open up the side of the case and point a 20" fan at them!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Open up the side of the case and point a 20" fan at them!
    There is currently a 200mm side case fan blowing at them. The whole thing is made of fans

Front case fan. 200mm
    Rear case fan. 120mm
    Side case fan. 200mm
    Bottom cas fan. 120mm
    Top case fan. 200mm
    CPU fan. 120mm
    PSU fan. 140mm
    GTS 250 fan. stock
    GTX 460 fan. stock
    That makes a total of nine fans.
    Cruncher Status

Platinum Member

Is there any venting you can do, or can you pull a Hankey and put the box outside/under the house?

Harley

If you can, put your box below a window and put a fan in the window. Also try running different projects. Some projects run much cooler than others. If all else fails you'll have to start down clocking your cards when the weather really starts to heat up. Living in Florida I've had to do all the above.

Silver Member

My two boxes are push a 1,000 watts running Bonic, in a small room. It's like having a 1,000 watt heater in the room all day. I'm thinking putting a room fan in to push air out of the room. There isn't a real good solution, the heat from all those watts has to go somewhere.

Past Administrator

I'm in the same boat as you, my room hits 85+ by morning...... So this may sound extreme but it is the solution I plan on using. Add a return vent for the Central Air directly over the area where the computers are. For me that would be over my desk.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

I have 5 boxes in this room. 2 with GPU's. It cost too much to try to keep this room cool in the summer. I have double hung windows, so I put a window fan in the window and leave the top cracked. I shut the floor vent off and keep the door closed. Temps hold in the 80's. but it works unless you need to be in the room and then it's grab a towel and sauna time!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you, my room hits 85+ by morning...... So this may sound extreme but it is the solution I plan on using. Add a return vent for the Central Air directly over the area where the computers are. For me that would be over my desk.
    Nice! That's the best idea I've heard yet. My computers are over an unfinished part of the basement, so it's doable

Silver Member

As it just happens to be the air return vent is in fact in my room, not sure if it's really helping or not.
    Cruncher Status

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast