Thread: HDD missing 100G

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

HDD missing 100G

NEVER MIND -- I found it

I've never had a computer with 48G of memory before. It is reserving 96G for the PageFile. I doubt I will ever be swapping out to disc with that amount of memory

PROBLEM SOLVED
    I got the new server, installed Win7 and all the updates, got BOINC and my other stuff installed, and then went to install Vbox. The new machine has a 250G drive and I noticed that I only had 120G remaining on the drive. Win7 takes up some disc space but 100G+ is ridiculous. So I assumed since this was a drive used in the server way back when that it might have had a partition that I didn't catch at installation. So I reinstalled Win7 making sure that I deleted the HDD partitions as part of the installation. It installed fine but I only had 130G remaining on the drive.

So I check the BIOS settings and everything looks fine. I take a brand spanking new 1TB drive and stick in it. After installation it has 833G left on the drive ... 100G is gone. I go into disk management and it shows 2 partitions as it should ... 100Mb for the OS and 900+ in the 2nd partitions. It also show only 833Mb available. I go in and check the properties of each root directory and they add up to about 25G. So where the heck is the 100G going to and what is on it?

I don't have a clue as to what is going on. Obviously 833G is probably enough to handle BOINC but I really want to know what is happening

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm guessing that somehow the Windows installation files and upgrade files (1Gb) are expanded on the disc and not getting erased. Since the Windows directory only shows 25Gb used I don't where to find them or how to get rid of them if that is the problem.

BTW, "disk cleanup" of the system update files bought 1G.
    Last edited by Bryan; 12-13-14 at 06:11 PM.