Thread: GPU Rumors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member

Re: GPU Rumors

Those are good points, however not entirely true. First let me say that i did state this was a rumor and Crunch3r could be half or entirely right. Or entirely wrong.

His first point about not using more than 1 memory standard on the same GPU is false. For example, the GK107, GK208, GM107, GF116, etc. were made to use either DDR3 or GDDR5, and could be purchased in either configuration, with different bus widths as well. It's also entirely possible HBM2's supply won't be abundant enough and all new GPUs end up with GDDR5X instead (AMD was going to use HBM2 as well).

I already mentioned GDDR5X would possibly be used instead of GDDR5, as he mentioned as well. The amount of VRAM on the 1080 is something i somewhat agree with him about. 8GB just makes alot more sense, but at the same time i don't have any info verifying it one way or the other. Also it must be remembered that the GP104 is of the same class as the GTX 770 and GTX 680.

Edit: Another thing to point out are his quotes on the projected bandwidth of GDDR5X of 448GB/s. This is true after the process matures, but is not true at all today. Today, at best, you'd get 384GB/s @ 256bit bus width.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 03-21-16 at 09:55 PM.