Thread: What did *you* upgrade today?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

Re: What did *you* upgrade today?

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I run (3) HD5870's on a MSI X79A-GD45 Plus motherboard and an Intel i7 4830K chip. My whole rig is overpowered with an Ultra 1200w PSU but I have put a meter on it and it pulls 665 watts running all out. I could probably get away with running a 750w PSU.

For a breakdown the rig with (1) GPU runs at about 400 watts; the other GPU's are about 130 watts a piece. So there are a few numbers to get you started.
    I did have a 1300w running it before the old board died. That 1300w replaced a 700w that didn't have enough power to run a 5850 and a gtx 580. I'm going to be putting at least a 280x and a 970 with the 1150 477k. That will free up one 5850 and one gtx 460. I'm sure I could get away with a 750w psu for now. I know it doesn't like the 450w. Every time I throw the turbo on, it will run for about an hour then will flake out running the cpu full throttle. If I try to ramp up the clock to what I usually run that cpu at, it's instant lights out the second the cpu gets a full load. I'll play around with an app to figure out the absolute biggest psu it will need and go from there. Running on a budget, it's not always easy to get gpus that are not power hungry. And whatever I do manage to get my hands on will most likely go in the next new build early next year.....with luck, it will all go down before the Pentathlon next year. I'm not going to show up again without some horsepower. lol

edit -- 2488 W -- wahahaha! I know that's a totally unrealistic number. I do tend to go over power so I can piggy back my miners. It does look the smallest I'm going with is another 1300w just to give me a little cushion.
    Last edited by Shandia; 09-17-16 at 11:58 AM.