Thread: New GPU Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member

Re: New GPU Project

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Downloaded the 375.10 driver but as usual with me and linux there's a snag. Terminal says I have to exit x server to install driver but when I do that all I have is a black screen with a flashing cursor. *face palm*
    You need to log out of your GUI and use one of the character only Multi-Screens...

Logout.
    Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a character only login prompt.
    Login and get to a root prompt. I normally go with "sudo bash" so all the rest of that session is in admin mode.
    Not sure which gui you are using, but you need to stop it.
    service lightdm stop
    Will handle the default Unity interface
    Then you can run the installer
    When that's done, the best idea is to reboot the system.
    You can restart the GUI by
    service start lightdm
    Or, again, whichever DesktopManager you run. (Like maybe gdm...)
    From the character Multi-Screen, you can always hit the Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to your GUI if you haven't stopped it. On Linux, you always have a number of "terminals" available if you need a command prompt. F1-F12 are commonly used, with F1-F6 commonly having Character terminals started and F7 normally being the GUI.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    You need to log out of your GUI and use one of the character only Multi-Screens...

Logout.
    Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a character only login prompt.
    Login and get to a root prompt. I normally go with "sudo bash" so all the rest of that session is in admin mode.
    Not sure which gui you are using, but you need to stop it.
    service lightdm stop
    Will handle the default Unity interface
    Then you can run the installer
    When that's done, the best idea is to reboot the system.
    You can restart the GUI by
    service start lightdm
    Or, again, whichever DesktopManager you run. (Like maybe gdm...)
    From the character Multi-Screen, you can always hit the Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to your GUI if you haven't stopped it. On Linux, you always have a number of "terminals" available if you need a command prompt. F1-F12 are commonly used, with F1-F6 commonly having Character terminals started and F7 normally being the GUI.
    Followed your directions but I get a new error that says nvidia-uvm kernel module is still running and the driver install fails. Can't figure out how to get nvidia-uvm to unload.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Platinum Member

Looks like the missing piece is probably not the drivers, but the Cuda RunTime Library... Go here to download the 7.5 version of the Cuda Toolkit which is what it looks like the app is expecting to have installed...

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-75-downloads-archive

Have patience, because that huge package thinks for quite a while without showing any progress bars along the way. Read the installation prompts because that humongous package comes with the 352.39 drivers, which you don't want to install over your newer ones. I also opted to not install the samples.

You may be able to get away with installing the current 8.0 Cuda Toolkit if it creates links for backwards compatibility, but I haven't tested that.

Next hurdle I ran into is it looks like the app is also expecting a compiler is available. At the least a modern libstdc++6 needs to have been installed. That's as far as I've gotten now. My 14.04.3 is busy trying to upgrade to 14.04.5 for my next attempt.

Looks like a no-go on 14.04 for me. But let me know how far you get on 16.04.