Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/02/18/geforce-cmp/

1) I wonder if the FW will recognize BOINC tasks as "mining"?
I wonder that too. No specifics yet on how it's being done so it could end up hurting productivity/data processing as well.
2) The whole premise is crap. They say they are doing it to preserve supply for gamers, and will offer an equivalent card for mining. But the supply of GPU chips is still fixed. So they put that supply toward mining GPUs, and the gamers still don't have supply.
This. Nvidia's whole premise here is absolute garbage as usual and is only meant to fool complete idiots, which happens to be a large portion of the world's population, lucky for them.

3) I wonder if they will push that crippling FW to other models, and potentially retroactively cripple the cards we already purchased?
They do plan to cripple other models as well, but it cannot be done retroactively since a small change has to be made to the hardware for the software to work. If you've already got something besides a 3060, you're fine.

3060's that currently exist are already affected, even when using an older driver. This shows it's more of a BIOS/firmware crippling