Thread: I see a major problem on Free-DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: I see a major problem on Free-DC

I'm running my own mail server (it pretty much comes with linux anyway) so you do still [sort of] have the option of bulk emailing.

BUT, there is a problem which I'm working on. I'm still on a dynamic IP which rarely changes (like once every few years..) and a lot of domains block emails coming from known dynamic IP ranges from major ISP's. (this is common practice as most spambots are sending out emails from unsuspecting users pc's) I'm on roadrunner using their highest tier available without going to business class, which would give me a static IP but cost 3x for the same bandwidth - just not worth it. I've been talking with them but there is just no option at all to get on a static IP.

So, for emails, what I have done is to set up a new gmail account and I'm relaying all mail via that. Was a little tricky to get working as I basically have to hack sendmail to but not that difficult. Not ideal though as it means the email comes from the gmail account rather than what it's 'sent' from. Given that anyone can create a gmail address, they have lots of rules to prevent email flooding, so you can't send out in bulk either.

I've been looking at other options for relaying and this is one of the them. I've talked with them and the emails would be from their intended addresses so that would work. I use easydns for domain names and they only offer 250 per day so that's not an option.

If anyone knows of any other option, I'd like to know.

Bok
    Last edited by Bok; 11-29-10 at 09:46 AM.