Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Dual 5870's

Philadelphia

Re: Dual 5870's

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Yes, if both cards are 5870's then they both should be clocked the same, use the settings Tab on Afterburner & set to Sync the 2 GPU's.

Also set the line "UnofficialClockMode = 0' to "UnofficialClockMode = 1" and restart Afterburner once doing that. Just go to either Windows/Program Files or Windows/Program Files (x86) then open the MSI Afterburner folder, then open the config file with notebook and make the 0 to 1 change, save & exit. You'll have to Restart Afterburner again once doing that too ... Should be good to go then and you can make your Overclocking changes ...

Thanks Ste\/e and everyone else for your help and patience. I will make the changes you suggested.

I'm going to throw another twist into this twisted situation.

I have been watching boinc and it hit me that boinc was finishing a wu in ~15 minutes but not being reported that way at Moo, sooooo, I sat at the computer for a couple of hours and read the newspaper and watched the wu's crunching, I also looked at a wall clock to verify what boinc was showing, rounding to minutes. The wall clock confirmed what boinc was reporting. I dropped off the seconds on the UTC to figure the minutes run. (edit, that brings up another issue, boinc wont upload the wu's after they run, I have to do it manually)

Having nothing to do this morning , right, I copied about 10 wu's reported by Moo, and low and behold 'something stinks in Denmark' (sorry to anyone in Denmark, just a saying )

Look at the difference between WU's, between the actual UTC times, they agree with the times boinc was showing when I watched them crunching and the wall clock, but the run/cpu times don't.

Could it be a Moo problem? Can I detach from the project and download the Moo program again without screwing things up, or is it even necessary?

Direct Link To Picture. Slightly Larger View
    Last edited by Philadelphia; 12-11-11 at 12:01 PM.

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Can I detach from the project and download the Moo program again without screwing things up, or is it even necessary?
    No, if you Detach from the Project the Wu's will be lost, Abort them first if your going to do that, that way they will get sent back out sooner, may even get them back yourself when you re-attach ...

Philadelphia

No, if you Detach from the Project the Wu's will be lost, Abort them first if your going to do that, that way they will get sent back out sooner, may even get them back yourself when you re-attach ...
    I'll just run them out, I have it set to no new downloads.

Any thoughts on my 'analysis' on the run time vs utc times?

Friend of SETI.USA

I'll just run them out, I have it set to no new downloads.

Any thoughts on my 'analysis' on the run time vs utc times?
    No not really, could be the BOINC Client reporting wrong ? what BOINC Client are you using, I'm using v6.12.34 ...

Philadelphia

No not really, could be the BOINC Client reporting wrong ? what BOINC Client are you using, I'm using v6.12.34 ...
    Funny you should mention that, I was giving that a thought too, 6.10.60.

I just checked my reported WU's, in the last ~3hrs 20mins I processed 12 WU's, which is ~16-17min per WU.

I only have one computer so when I'm using it I sure that slows the crunching a tad bit too.

Gold Member

Is the boinc client actually counting seconds faster than the pc? What if you check the wu properties and compare. The only time I saw something similar to this when running boinc was when I was testing boinc in a linux vm while still running boinc on the main os(win7). So, basically I had 2 instances of boinc.

Friend of SETI.USA

Funny you should mention that, I was giving that a thought too, 6.10.60.

I just checked my reported WU's, in the last ~3hrs 20mins I processed 12 WU's, which is ~16-17min per WU.

I only have one computer so when I'm using it I sure that slows the crunching a tad bit too.
    Check your computing Preferences at the Project & make sure or set them to what I have:

Suspend work while computer is in use? no
    Suspend GPU work while computer is in use? Enforced by version 6.6.21+ no

Also check the Task Manager to make sure you don't have 2 instances of BOINC running ...

Past Administrator

I posted this earlier in this thread but left out a detail or two.

The unofficial overclocking only applies to ATI/AMD cards due to liability issues. Starting with version 2.1 of Afterburner, they changed the method for enabling this feature. To quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Guru3D Support Forum
    We're receiving emails on how to enable additional overclockability for AMD cards (if supported) in MSI afterBurner.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:

* Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
    I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    * Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations.
    Here is what my MSIAfterburner.cfg (v2.2.0 Beta 9) looks like.

Code:
    [ATIADLHAL]
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA	= I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    UnofficialOverclockingMode	= 1
    AccessibilityCheckingPeriod	= 0
    UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring	= 1

[NVAPIHAL]
    ClockDomainIdWorkaround		= -1
    GenericMemoryUsageMonitoring	= 1
    UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring	= 1

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

* Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
    I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    path
    I've never done that & use Afterburner on both my ATI & NVIDIA cards ...

Philadelphia

@spingadus - I looked at the wu detail and it was all greek to me, I couldn't make heads for tails out of what's in there. When the wu is running, the boinc clock showing the progression of the wu is correct according to my wall clock.

Check your computing Preferences at the Project & make sure or set them to what I have:

Suspend work while computer is in use? no
    Suspend GPU work while computer is in use? Enforced by version 6.6.21+ no
    Have the same settings:

Also check the Task Manager to make sure you don't have 2 instances of BOINC running ...
    Only one version running:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast