Thread: Overdrawing a Battery Backup/UPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Overdrawing a Battery Backup/UPS

Overdrawing it isn't a huge problem, they only use the surge protector as long as your power is on. It does mean it will draw down in nothing flat if the power actually goes out, and it is harder for it to recharge once it does draw down. As far as the beeping goes, you can turn it off, I think by holding both buttons down for few seconds. If all else fails you could read the instructions, but you have to turn in your man badge if you get that desperate.

Administrator

One suggestion is to take the monitor off the UPS. Depending on how much you are over drawing the UPS it will either run out of juice very quickly, cause a brown out situation with reduced voltage, or immediately drop out. Just pull the plug out of the wall and see which it does

PS most of the MB have a power option in BIOS to restart the computer after a power outtage. If you set BOINC to run at Win startup you won't lose much crunching time since the UPS will probably only run a computer for 15 minutes before it drops out anyway.
    Last edited by Bryan; 12-10-10 at 01:07 AM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlurker View Post
    Overdrawing it isn't a huge problem, they only use the surge protector as long as your power is on. It does mean it will draw down in nothing flat if the power actually goes out, and it is harder for it to recharge once it does draw down. As far as the beeping goes, you can turn it off, I think by holding both buttons down for few seconds. If all else fails you could read the instructions, but you have to turn in your man badge if you get that desperate.
    I suspect he's turned that in years ago. One too many shots to the nuts if you know what I mean.